Contributor
golevel
Accepted Solution

AIM or ARB or Both?

I've got a client that needs a recurring membership solution. This would mean that I would absolutely need to use ARB, right?

One problem might be that the users have a choice on whether or not they are automatically billed for membership. If a user opts to not be automatically billed, I'd have to use AIM, right?

Addittionally, they a have a 2nd portion of their website where they sell physical prodcuts. My understanding is that I would definitely need to use AIM for that.

Is there any way to use AIM for both without having to store the entire credit card number?

Looking for some advice on which API to use. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Ryan

stymiee
Topics: 17
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 126

Re: AIM or ARB or Both?

1) For the subscription use AIM for the first payment and ARB for all scheduled subscripted payments

2a) For one time sales use AIM unless...

2b) ...you don't want the user to re-enter their credit card information. Then you'll need to use CIM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Integrate Every Authorize.Net XML API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post

The Handling Online Payments With Authorize.Net and PHP Series
Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11

My Blog posts for Authorize.Net - The Validating Credit Card Series
Credit Card Numbers | Expiration Dates | CVV Numbers

My Blog posts for Authorize.Net - Other Topics
Notifying Users Their Credit Card Is About to Expire Without PCI Compliance Issues
Precision Math with PHP
HTTP Headers to Help Secure Your Website

Please don't ask me questions via private message or email. They will be ignored.
Use the forums. That's what they are here for.
Contributor
golevel

Thanks!

Can I use CIM with AIM? As in, does using CIM affect the user experience (ie having to leave my website) or does is it all handled in the background by me?

redwolf3

I am working on a very similar problem as we speak.

From my research, you cannot use CIM with AIM directly. When you store a credit card number with CIM, you cannot completely retrieve it. Per PCI Compliance, the interface only returns the last 4 digits of Credit Card numbers, the other digits appear to be masked out with X's (you will find mention of this in their CIM API Documentation as well).

The one thing the CIM API does provide is the createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest method. With this method, you can take a stored CIM Record, and perform a transaction against it through the CIM interface. Part of the response back is the raw AIM Response that you would get with a normal AIM call.

In my system, my plan has been to use AIM directly for simple one-time transactions, and to use CIM for all recurring transactions, so we have more control over the rate at which they recur, dates they occur, etc. I have also had some concern for the post back methods that the ARB supplies, which is part of the reason I have been leaning away from its use.

redwolf3

Ohh, and to cover your other Quesiton:

CIM primarily operates the same as AIM: You create forms on your site which can be used to process the information, and then you perform the API Requests in the background. In this case, the requests are done in the form of SOAP / XML requests instead of Simple Post Backs like AIM uses, but at the core, the concept is still the same.

stymiee

You can use CIM with AIM but it's a bit redundant. Once you create a profile in CIM you can charge transactions using that profile. All you would need AIM for at that point is to charge someone a one time charge who doesn't have a CIM profile created (i.e. someone just making a standalone purchase).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Integrate Every Authorize.Net XML API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11

Notifying Users Their Credit Card Is About to Expire Without PCI Compliance Issues
Precision Math with PHP

Please don't ask me questions via private message or email. They will be ignored.
Contributor
golevel

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the responses.

My last question is that if I go the CIM route, couldn't I use it for everything, including recurring subscriptions? I would have to have a cron job or something on my side to handle the "automatic" process, but I would just use CIM for all of the billing?

stymiee

Yes.

Precision Math with PHP