tauren

Can full card holder name go into Customer.firstName or lastName field?

We're migrating from another payment solution and we currently have credit card data stored with a "Card holder name" field. This field contains the customer's full name or business name. We do not have this data separated into first and last names.

Is it acceptable to simply submit the full name in the Customer.lastName field? Or in the firstName field? Or do I need to parse my cardHolder name field and separate it into two fields. The problem with that is that company names often only have one word, or words like "Corp" or "Inc" at the end which would end up in the lastName field. Also, it looks like sometimes users last name is first, then the first name, so it will be hard to tell what should go into which field.

I'm assuming this isn't really too big of a deal. Hopefully I can just stick the full name into either last or first.

Thanks!

Elaine

Re: Can full card holder name go into Customer.firstName or lastName field?

You can include the first and last name in a single name field if you'd like, it will not affect your ability to process credit card transactions. However, submitting the first and last name in a single field, rather than separating it into independent fields, will likely make it harder for you to perform searches using the customer name, which may mean tha tyou will need to include other identifying and searchable data with each transaction for reporting purposes, and you may find that some customers do not enter a first and/or a last name at all. You may want to take this into consideration when determining what direction you will decide to go with.

Thank you,

Elaine