Trusted Contributor
TSdotNet
Accepted Solution

Card present & CVV

Is there any addition financal benefits in using the CVV with a card present transaction? eg lower rate etc?

In the interest of keeping the users number of clicks and typing to a minimum, if this information provides no further benefit to the transaction as a whole, then I would be looking to leave it out.

Anyone got any idea?

Elaine

Re: Card present & CVV

Requiring the card code value and declining to accept transactions when the value provided does not match what is on file with their bank is not only an effort of protecting yourself but the card holder as well.

Often when you include the card code value with your authorization request you receive a qualified rate (lower) and if you do not include it you receive a non-qual rate (higher). This is not always the case however, so be sure to discuss your rates with your merchant account provider to be sure you understand what they will be and how to obtain the best rates possible in your account.

Thank you,

Elaine

Trusted Contributor
TSdotNet

thanks for your response -

Elaine wrote:

Requiring the card code value and declining to accept transactions when the value provided does not match what is on file with their bank is not only an effort of protecting yourself but the card holder as well.

I totally get this - however it would be helpful to know if in the event of a card present transaction:

1. if the bank checks this
  2. If they do, why do they check it?

There reason I ask number t2 is because I see no benefit over the security already given by a card present - track info present transaction.

I have to assume that if a card present transaction has been achieved using the Track Numbers, it means that the physical card is in the possession of the person scanning it. If we are trying to protect ourselves and the customer from a fraudulent transaction at this point - using authentication methods that are based on the card itself do not help - since the card is physically in our possession.

Elaine wrote:

Often when you include the card code value with your authorization request you receive a qualified rate (lower) and if you do not include it you receive a non-qual rate (higher). This is not always the case however, so be sure to discuss your rates with your merchant account provider to be sure you understand what they will be and how to obtain the best rates possible in your account.

This of course would be a good reason for forcing the CVV. The application I am coding will be using authorize.net merchant accounts that are resold by ourselves. Who should I speak to about these rates?

Thank you again for your time.

Administrator
Michelle

Hey TSdotNet,

"I have to assume that if a card present transaction has been achieved using the Track Numbers, it means that the physical card is in the possession of the person scanning it. If we are trying to protect ourselves and the customer from a fraudulent transaction at this point - using authentication methods that are based on the card itself do not help - since the card is physically in our possession."

Yeah I'm with you. :smileyhappy: I can't think any reason why you'd want to collect the CVV with a card present transaction. CVV was designed as a protection for card NOT present transactions and so it just doesn't really apply as you stated above.

As for the potential lower rates, your merchant account provider is the one you need to contact for more info on that. They set your discount rates and handle any special rates that using CVV may offer.

Thanks,

Michelle

Developer Community Manager