SSChief

Simple way to determine status of transaction

I'm looking for the simpliest method to determine if a transaction has been approved or declined.  I have implemented address verification and CCV checks.  when running a test transaction in a live environment, the silent response code indicates "1" meaning the card has been authorized but CCV and/or AVS cause the overall transaction to fail (as it should based on my settings in the merchant interface and entering intentionally incorrect AVS and/or CCV values). I'm looking for a value to check which would be indicative of the overall transaction status ... Yes/No.  I noticed that some of the variables that I capture.. name, email address, are empty and the transaction amount is zero for failed transactions.  I am looking to enter the information into a database only for transaction which have been successful.  Is there one variable that can be reliably used to determine this?

Elaine

Re: Simple way to determine status of transaction

If you are using Silent Post to receive transaction responses you can use the list of response variables and definitions of the response values in the SIM Implementation Guide, found at http://developer.authorize.net. The 1 you are referring to is the Response Code. A 1 is always indicative of a successful transaction.

The following is taken from the SIM Implementation Guide:

x_response_code

1 = Approved
2 = Declined
3 = Error
4 = Held for Review

If a transaction declines, or results in error, you can use the response reason code (x_response_reason_code) to determine the cause.

Thanks,

Elaine

SSChief

Thanks, problem is I receive an x_response_code of 1 and the transaction fails because of AVS or CCV incorrect entry. Below are the responses I get from a failed transaction.  It would indicate a successful transaction if only the x_response_code is considered.  For purposes of the database, I want to determine if the Credit Card was declined for whatever reason.  From what I understand, the credit card # is validated and an authorization code, 1, is issued then the AVS/CCV is checked.  If one or both are invalid it doesn't change the x_response_code to something other then 1.

Response Code = 1

Reason Response Code = 1

Reason Response Text = This transaction has been approved.

AVS = P

CCV =

Elaine

When a transaction declines due to AVS or CCV mismatch the response response code is not 1. It is 27 or 63. Are you sure you are not confusing multiple attempts from the same customer? One transaction that is declined due to AVS or CCV mismatch and a second that is successful after they've corrected their information?

Thanks,

Elaine

SSChief

I don't know if this matters but I'm using SIM.  When I tried today, I only got a response for a successful transaction. When I tried 2 other intentionally bad transactions, one with a bad CCV and one with a bad AVS, I got no response.  This is for a silent post.  I went in and voided the good transaction (the other 2 showed up as declined). Subsequent to the void, I got a silent post that showed the same transaction ID as the successful transaction except most of the info first name, last name, email, amount = 0 (vs. .30 for the actual transaction), where missing and got a "P" code for AVS and no code for CCV.

Elaine

Authorize.Net does not return information that does not exist in the transaction. If the information you are saving to your database/file does not match what was submitted the only suggestion that I can make is to review the process on your end to identify why/how it would be incorrectly parsing and/or saving transaction response information.

Thanks,

Elaine

SSChief

Thanks, how about this.  Can you verify whether a failed transaction that returns the customer back to the purchase form so they can correct their information does not generate a silent post? I'm guessing based on what I've seen that the authorize.net hosted credit card payment web page (SIM) will not generate a silent post until the submitted purchase page generates a receipt page.

Elaine

All transactions that are processed through the account will return a Silent Post response, regardless of the method of entry, when a Silent Post URL is enabled in the Account settings. A Silent Post response is not reflective of SIM functionality as it is not associated with SIM. Silent Post is its own independent functionality within the account.

Thanks,

Elaine