cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to refund: "an unanticipated error occurred while processing this request"

Hi, in testing our integration code with CIM, they processed a transaction with a live card.  After the transaction went through, they tried to refund the transaction by logging directly into the Authorize.NET website.  However, when they try to process the refund, they get this message:

"an unanticipated error occurred while processing this request"

They have tried with multiple browsers.  The URL that appears above the error message is:
https://account.authorize.net/UI/Error.html?axperrorpath=/UI/transaction/quickrefund.aspx

Any idea of what might cause this kind of error?

Newba
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I talked to customer service.  They found out that it's because the product name in the description has an apostrophe.  Somehow, there's a bug whereby refunds get an error if there are any non-alpha characters in the description.  They said it can be edited manuallly when processing the refund.  But I'll have to filter this when I pass the description to prevent similar problems from happening again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

It the transaction settled?

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Yes, according to a transaction search, it was settled on March 5th at around 3pm.  They were trying to process the refund later that evening, or possibly this morning.

It the error is on the merchant account login, contact support, it is not a integration issue.

I talked to customer service.  They found out that it's because the product name in the description has an apostrophe.  Somehow, there's a bug whereby refunds get an error if there are any non-alpha characters in the description.  They said it can be edited manuallly when processing the refund.  But I'll have to filter this when I pass the description to prevent similar problems from happening again.

Thanks for the update. I didn't know that.