cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options for recurring billing

Hi:  I've spent a couple of days reading the API docs and this forum. The forum, in particular, has helped a lot with filling in the blanks.

I'm a programmer in an academic department at a public university in the US. We've been using SIM for several years with few problems. The department administration now want to offer automated recurring billing.

From what I've read on this forum, CIM is easier to implement than ARB. According to the CIM XML documentation, "You must still use the standard API (either SOAP or XML) for some operations, such as creating a transaction. The hosted page only provides functionality for creating, updating, and deleting payment profiles and shipping addresses."

So, in order for the customer to actually initiate or process a recurring transaction, I would need to use the standard (non-hosted) CIM API, or AIM?

What's not clear to me is whether there is some combination of APIs that would allow me to completely avoid handling credit card data on my servers (either storing it or transmtting it), both for updating payment profiles and for performing transactions.

thanks,

RandyN
14 REPLIES 14

It would have been more helpful to say yes (or no), WITH supporting info.

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Authorize.Net and trying to integrate it with Spring Based Java application. We have requirement to create Recurring billing subscription. I am able to achieve that but i would like to do using the CIM. I need CIM as we will be processing instant payments also and will not like user to enter their CC details again and again.

Is it possible if can create an ARB subscription by referring CIM profile

Thanks in Advance

Kaushik

kaushik1978

ARB and CIM are two different things. You can do recurring payments with both; however, ARB subscriptions run automatically, and doing the same thing on CIM requires running your own automated process (probably cron) to generate the charges. CIM just allows you to charge the customer multiple times without either having to store the credit card info in your database or requiring the customer to re-enter their card every time.

In ARB, we can specify the option for the "totalOccurence" while making a recurring billing request. I am using CIM recurring billing, the question is where do I specify the "totaloccurence" in the XML? 

Please help!

bhavanichinna

CIM just sets up a profile so you can charge their credit card more than once without having to pass the credit card information each time. It doesn't actually generate charges for you, like ARB does. You need an automated routine that runs every morning, checks who's due, and generates a CIM charge.