cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Either a GPS or an ipad. Which is BETTER to start Geocaching?

I am starting geocaching as a personal hobby. I am debating whether to buy a GPS or an ipad to use during my cache-hunts.
I browse local sporting goods, department, and electronics outlets in search of THE ULTIMATE EQUIPMENT.
Which one (GPS or ipad) offers a better deal for the price (I can buy a GPS for $99 vs. an ipad for $500)? or should I become so blinded by the ADDITIONAL FEATURES offered by the ipad to justify this additional cost?
Thanks for valuable ideas.

tawnyacox
2 REPLIES 2
The iPad is usable (I know one local cacher who loves it) but my take is that it is a large, expensive, cumbersome, and relatively fragile device to be using in rough terrain. I've dropped GPS units down a hill, into water, used them in the rain, and generally bumped and thumped them with no ill effects. I'm not sure the iPad would fare as well. My opinion based on long time caching experience is that you should get a dedicated GPS. If the cost of the iPad is not a factor, then consider upping your price point for the GPS to the $250 range. There are lots of excellent GPS units that specifically support caching at that price point. Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

...? Between the two I would go with the GPS. It is a no brainer. Apple's grip on mapping is-- immature. Let's be nice and say that.

For $99, you can get last season's top of the line GPS enabled Android device. People overlook the income Google makes off of their map data which they have been developing for over a decade.

bradchesney79