cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find record keeping requirements?

I consider myself lucky to have worked here for five years but have only encountered one chargeback, which I won.  I am sure it will happen again one day and I want to be sure I am retaining the right kind of records so that I will win again.

If we store the customer's account number (with CIM), and charge them monthly for our service, is a document with their name, credit card number/expiry, and signature, sufficient?  If I black out all but the last four numbers of the credit card number before storing the document, is it still useful?

Similar question for mail orders; if I black out all but the last four numbers before storing the order form, will it still protect me?

I was told by someone that for telephone orders, it is not possible for the retailer to win a chargeback.  This can't be true, can it?  Is there any way to protect the merchant if a customer makes an order or applies for monthly billing by phone?

Thanks,

Mango:smileyhappy:

Mango
2 REPLIES 2

You will need to contact your merchant account provider to discuss what precautions you should take as a merchant to protect yourself, as much as possible, from chargebacks.

Thank you,

Elaine

Elaine
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I was told by someone that for telephone orders, it is not possible for the retailer to win a chargeback.  This can't be true, can it?  Is there any way to protect the merchant if a customer makes an order or applies for monthly billing by phone?

This is generally true, but not 100%. It depends on the claim made by the customer and the proof you have to refute it. A smart customer who is out to commit fraud will always win because they know what to claim when they protest the charge. A case where a merchant can win is if the customer claims non-delivery of a product, and you have signed proof of delivery to the billing address.

joatmon
Contributor