cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispcolohost

Just posting here in case someone finds my post before wasting further time on this issue.

I have an app that uses authnet's API to take payments.  I also use their fraud detection suite, specifically for many of the IP address-related filters (velocity, shipping mismatch, regional blocking, etc).  I'd been conducting business like normal for some time, no issues.  I recently had my web host enable IPv6 for my site to get the benefits it providers for mobile shoppers who often see faster performance over v6 due to not having to go through carrier NAT for IPv4 in high density areas.  Everything seemed like it was working fine initially, but then I heard from a customer who could not pay.

After some debugging, we found that my payment code was populating the authorize.net API field customerIP / x_customer_ip with the customer's IP, which is obviously what it is intended for.  I was populating it with both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.  The field is only usable for IPv4 ;if you pass IPv6, it will decline the transaction.

What's worse, is that since I have fraud suite features enabled, I have to pass an IP.  So what to do for an IPv6 shopper?  I can't pass a placeholder IPv4 address, such as always passing my site's own IP when the shopper is IPv6, because I'd end up triggering the velocity filter.  So ended up having to go back to not having my site IPv6 enabled.

I found someone asking about IPv6 and that field as far back as 2011, and authnet still hasn't caught on.  Comcast is IPv6-enabled nationwide, as is nearly every 4g cell network, so this isn't just a fringe customerbase I'm wanting to support.

10 Comments
RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hello @ispcolohost

With your permission, I would like to move this conversation over to our Product Ideas forum where others can vote and comment on your suggestion.

Richard

Status changed to: New
RichardH
Administrator

Status changed to: Under Review
RichardH
Administrator

user00265

IPv6 was years in the making and Authorize.net dropped the ball. Now IPv6 is a reality and Authorize.net gateway is behind other offerings like Braintree, Stripe, and PayPal. It is near the end of 2017, after the launch on 2012, and IPv6 is more common than ever before. With many transactions causing issues for those of us that use AFDS filters that rely on IPs.

The only "solution" that merchant support seems to be wanting to give you is to remove the offending filter. That's not safe, especially if you care about fraud and the impact on businesses. It seems like Authorize.net is pushing the liability on its customers that support IPv6 and dragging their feet for years.

ispcolohost

Yup, Comcast has nearly their whole end userbase IPv6 enabled now, so discarding the ability to use fraud filters on what could potentially be all the users of one of the largest ISP's in the country is ridiculous.  Nearly every mobile network is handing out IPv6, so all the mobile users can't be fraud filtered.  Many offices are starting to enable, so on and so forth.  Really surprised this is still not addressed.

ispcolohost
Oh hey, it's 2019, and still NOTHING on this. Congrats authnet, IPv4 runout has occurred, sites are enabling IPv6 in record numbers these days, and your services still don't work properly for IPv6-based sites.
ispcolohost

Another year comes and goes, Authnet is still cranking away like it's 1999.  Hopefully once they finish their y2k project they can look into IPv6.

ispcolohost

2021, still going strong like IPv6 doesn't exist.

dwdonline

Honestly – 2021 and many internet companies are using ipv6. What's the holdup Authorize.net? 

user00265

Well, hello! The year 2022 is here and more of the same. Thanks, Authorize.net for showing your lack of care to your customers, prospective customers, and your customers' customers. IPv4 might be "the majority," but your inaction shows your inability as a company to future-proof your technology. Your lack of communication is typical for a larger business and is sickening.

To anyone who cares about their customers and access to your website or whatever way you interface with your gateway to collect payments... do yourself a favor and find yourself and/or your business a different gateway that is modern and actually cares about giving their customers access to current technology; Authorize.net put this request "Under Review" for five years and has not shared a single update since, or implemented IPv6 in this time. The whole world knew about IPv6 before it was even made a standard. There is no excuse at this juncture, this is a failure as a company.

I have moved on myself and I suggest anybody that comes across this for the same issues to move along as well.