cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ARB .. Credit Card expires before the start of the subscription.

We're using ARB to take recurring donations. Recently got the error "Credit Card expires before the start of the subscription." for someone trying to set up a yearly recurring donation. Problem is that the donation starts in 12 months and their CC expires before the initial payment (start of subscription). Is there any way to tell the ARB system to ignore the fact that the CC expiration date is before the subscription start date? We'll assume that the person will renew their card before the payment is attempted, and if not, it'll fail at that time (I assume).

Thanks!

...scott

saprentice
6 REPLIES 6

When you create an ARB, it doesn't check the expiration date other then it will expires before the start date. So you could check the date first, it is after it ok, else add a year to the expiration, but somehow you will need to get updated date later from the them to update the ARB before it start.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

So .. you're saying that I can bump the expiration date so the ARB initialization doesn't complain, and it doesn't check to see if that date is "valid"? Then unless the person updates their ARB data, it will fail when it comes time to actually charge the card .. so I'd need to let them know to update the renewal date before the charge happens.

Thanks,

...scott

Yep. that is. Althought the credit card issuer might or might not decline an transaction on a wrong expire date.

I guess that was my concern. I don't want to set up a system that might, or might not, work based on the whim of the card issuer.  So, this method isn't really the "right" way to do it, just one way that could work. I'm thinking that I should set this up completely differently so that the subscription start isn't a year in the future. Let me know if I've misunderstood.

Thanks!

...scott

Thanks! Good info .. I appreciate the help!

...scott