cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARB - No transactions for expired credit cards?

Each day, we receive an email from A.net titled "Summary of Automated Recurring Billing" which includes Successful.csv and Failed.csv files of transactions. We noticed the Failed.csv also includes ARB's with expired credit cards but didn't have transactions attempted against them. This is not good as our nightly API call for Transactions process each one to update their website status (e.g. "settledsuccessfully" = still active, "declined" = problem with ARB). Because of this, we never know when an ARB with an expired credit exists and isn't being charged, therefore, their website subscription never expires. How do we resolve this? Is there another API call to identify these ARBs? Thanks.

bpautsch
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @bpautsch

You can obtain a list of cards expiring this month through the API: 

http://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/index.html#recurring-billing-get-a-list-of-subscription...

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, Richard.

Yes. I'm already using that API nightly to send emails to proactively ask customers to update  their CC's. So is it true that A.net won't attempt to charge an expired CC? Sometimes they still go through, but it would be beneficial to get the declined transaction.

It sounds like I need to adjust my logic to disable web accounts that:

- have declined tranactions (already doing this)

- didn't have a transaction at the renewal date (e.g. last monthly ARB transaction was 5/1 and I don;t see one 6/1).

Thoughts? 

We DO attempt a transaction even if the CC is expired, and you should get a silent post indicating the success or failure of the transaction.

Richard

Hmmm...I don't use Silent Post as it requires 100% uptime....which I do have, but can't guarantee it.