cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARB Recurring : payment failed

Hello,

I want to implement SIM and ARB on our futur eccomerce website.

We will do only recurring payment but the first amount is 120$ and then 60$ every month but starting 2 month later.

Since the first payment is 120$ so 2 month i will launch the subscription 2 month later.

My question concerning ARB is that what happens if a payment failed (expiration date, no money on bank account, etc...)

Authorize try do make the payment and failed so they send through silent post the result.

But after that how can we take back this money.

For example it was expiration date for the cc, then we make an update on the subscription and this issue is settled.

Does Authorize (ARB) will retry to take the money from the subscription ? do we need to make a single payment ?

How can we still be linked to this subscription ?

One more thing, does the subscription continue (every month) even if one payment failed ?

Best regards.

Thos
9 REPLIES 9

It is important to be aware that ARB and SIM are not currently integrated with one another.  The only way to take a payment made through SIM and convert it to ARB is to manually do so through the Authorize.Net online interface.

Whether or not a subscription will continue after a failed payment depends upon how recently the payment information was updated.  In the case of a transaction failing on the first payment after a subscription is created or updated, it is assumed that the new payment information is not valid and the subscription is put into a suspended state.  No new transactions will be processed until the subscription is updated again.  If the payment information on file has worked successfully in the past, then the subscription will remain active and will try again at the next scheduled payment date.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Concerning ARB and SIM i know that they don't work together.

I will use it both separately, the goal is to make a single payment first with SIM and then trigger a subscription with ARB starting 2 month later.

I understood that the ARB will continue the subscription the month later even if one failed.

But my question is about the one which failed. Once it failed it will not getting back later ? we need to for example to update the credit card infos and then trigger a payment ourselves not depending on ARB ? (this will be a single payment ?)

And if this is indeed a single payment, can we link it to the subscription ?

That is correct.  If the payment fails, you will have to manually run a transaction to make up for it.  There is no functionality built into the ARB system to recover failed payments.  There is no way to link these make up payments into the subscription history, the best way to keep track of them would be to use the same invoice or customer ID number for obth the subscription and any make-up payments.

Trevor
Administrator

Just to clarify one small detail .... if a payment fails on an ARB (after having been charged successfully) will authnet continue to leave the profile "active" and try to charge even after multiple failures?

-------------------------------------------------
Ron
Linvio, Inc.
Salesforce.com/Authnet Integration

Yes, that is correct. The subscription will not be terminated automatically in these circumstances. Even if the card has expired, the subscription will remain "active" and simply not successfully generate any new transactions.

Hi,

I am using ARB for payment process for my client side. Site user prepaid their monthly rent. If any reason their payment will be failed. Is it possible to charge that payment again in ARB?

If payment transaction failed  between subscription then that subscription status still remain 'active'.  How can I get information about failed transactions?

Thanks

Hi prasana,

If the subscription failed the first time, that subscription will be suspended so the merchant will need to reactivate it and enter a new start date. However if there was already a previous transaction that was processed on this subscription then it failed, there is no way to process payment via ARB but to charge the customer manually. You can get the details of failed transactions by logging into your Authorize.Net account and also check the failed ARB transaction emails that is sent out daily.

Thanks,

Joy

Joy
Administrator

How long will a subscription remain "active" after a failed ARB transaction.  My concern is how long do we have to update the credit card information before the entire transaction has to be resubmitted.

Unless the payment that failed was the first one in the subscription, the failed payment will be skipped and the next one will proceed as scheduled. Most people use AIM in combination with ARB to charge the missing payment and verify the credit card before updating the subscription. Or use CIM instead of ARB, since you have a lot more control over charging with CIM (all charges are generated on your end, rather than automatically).