cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTH_ONLY succeeding with Visa but failing with Mastercard.

I'm attempting to implement an AUTH_ONLY transaction for AVS prior to a CAPTURE.  Everything works swimmingly in test mode.  After switching to Live mode, everything continues to work swimmingly if it's a Visa card.  Testing with a Mastercard, however, yields the message - "This processor does not accept zero dollar authorization for this card type."  Respons code 3, Reason code 289.  I've contacted my processor and these failed transactions are not making it to them.

What am I missing to make this work?

JacobG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Turns out Visa is the only company that supports $0 Auth, so Authorize.NET rejects it before it gets to my processor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The documentation says:

If testing in the live environment is successful, you are ready to submit live transactions and verify that they are being submitted successfully. Either remove the x_test_request field from the transaction request string, or set it to “FALSE;” or, if you are using Test Mode, turn it off in the Merchant Interface. To receive a true response, you must submit a transaction using a real credit card number. You can use any valid credit card number to submit a test transaction. You can void successful transactions immediately to prevent live test transactions from being processed. This can be done quickly on the Unsettled Transactions page of the Merchant Interface. It is recommended that when testing using a live credit card, you use a nominal value, such as $0.01. That way, if you forget to void the transaction, the impact will be minimal. For VISA verification transactions, submit a $0.00 value instead, if the processor accepts it.

Note: VISA verification transactions are being switched from $0.01 to $0.00 for all processors. For Visa transactions using $0.00, the Bill To address (x_address) and zip code (x_zip) fields are required.

TJPride
Expert

Thanks TJ, in the event that I wasn't quite clear:

1- Live, real credit card.

2- Live, real merchant account, not in test mode.

Now, I was under the impression that Mastercard supported $0 AUTH_ONLY as of 2009.  Based on the documentation you provide, that appears to not be correct and we should do a $.01 transaction (despite being advised not to by our processor).  Is that correct?

Honestly, I have no idea. Authorize.net apparently thinks it's up to the processor, so talk to your processor about the error message and see what they have to say.

Yeah, unfortunately, my processor is not seeing the rejections.  I was on the phone with them, submitted a transaction, received the rejection and they claim to have not received the transaction.  They claim it's an auth.net issue.  I guess I'll go back to my reseller.  Thanks.

Turns out Visa is the only company that supports $0 Auth, so Authorize.NET rejects it before it gets to my processor.

Ok, well that makes sense, it matches what the documentation says.