cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About void Authorize.

Dears:

I have a question about void authorize.

If I send a authorize request to Authorize.Net and get a approve result, then I do some partial capture based on this authorize result, after that, I void the Authorize transaction, Is the capure transaction voided too, will it be settled successfully?

sucre
Contributor
5 REPLIES 5

The documentation has this to say. Short version is that you can kill the entire thing using the split tender ID.

Void
This transaction type can be used to cancel either an original transaction that is not yet settled, or an entire order composed of more than one transactions. A void prevents the transaction or the order from being sent for settlement. A Void can be submitted against any other transaction type.

Note: If you are not sure whether a transaction is settled, you can attempt to submit a Void first. If the Void transaction errors, the original transaction is likely settled and you can submit a Credit for the transaction.

The payment gateway accepts Voids if the following conditions are met:
- The transaction is submitted with the valid transaction ID (x_trans_id) of an original, successfully authorized transaction. To void an entire order, submit the split tender ID (x_split_tender_id).
- The original transaction is not already settled, expired or errored.

TJPride
Expert

Hi TJPride,

Dose that mean If I authorized $100, then I captured $20, after that, I voided the authorize($100), the captured part($20) can not be settled successfully?

From the context, I would guess the $20 would go through anyway, but the only way to find out for sure is to test and find out.

Thank you, TJPride. I will test it.

If you are talking about authorizing an individual transaction for $100, capturing that same transaction for $20 and then voiding it prior to settlement, then you would lose everything.  When you void a transaction in authorize.net, you are voiding the transaction ID, not voiding any specific amount that was authorized.

If the concern here is leaving th extra $80 reserved on the cardholder's statement, then it isn't something that you need to worry about.  For most processors and card types, we automatically issue what is called a "partial reversal" if you choose to capture an authorization for less than the original amount.  This is essentially the equivalent of a void, but it only voids the amount that you didn't capture.