cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting Canadian Cards in US

Hello,

My company is located in the US, and as of yet we have only used authorize.net to accept US cards for payment. We have a need to accept Canadian credit cards at this point however, and searching through documentation has left me a little uncertain about exactly how this will work.

First some details:

We use this API: https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/
We use Accept.js sometimes (Web), but other times make transactions without tokenizing card data (IVR)
We send a zipcode for AVS

We send CVV

Essentially I am looking for confirmation we will have no problems, or knowledge of what problems we would encounter and the best way to handle said problems. I've found some useful info on my own, but it can be hard to tell what applies to your setup. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Fivable

fivable
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi fivable, 

This is a common question. As such, we have placed information on accepting non-US transactions in our Support Center, which is accessible to you at https://support.authorize.net/s/. You also have access to live help and our Help library within your account by clicking on the "Help" link at the top of the page (be aware the Help link does not currently work in Chrome). 

With that said, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

• If you currently process in USD, you will also process CAD transcations in USD. 
  • If you wish to process in CAD, you will need a new account to process CAD in that currency.
  • You may need to adjust some of your AVS filter settings to avoid AVS declines from card holders whose issuers do not support the AVS system. 

Outside of this, the transactions will process in the same manner which all other transactions process currently. 

I hope this information is helpful to you. 

Thank you,

Elaine

View solution in original post

ElaineM
Moderator Moderator
2 REPLIES 2

Hi fivable, 

This is a common question. As such, we have placed information on accepting non-US transactions in our Support Center, which is accessible to you at https://support.authorize.net/s/. You also have access to live help and our Help library within your account by clicking on the "Help" link at the top of the page (be aware the Help link does not currently work in Chrome). 

With that said, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

• If you currently process in USD, you will also process CAD transcations in USD. 
  • If you wish to process in CAD, you will need a new account to process CAD in that currency.
  • You may need to adjust some of your AVS filter settings to avoid AVS declines from card holders whose issuers do not support the AVS system. 

Outside of this, the transactions will process in the same manner which all other transactions process currently. 

I hope this information is helpful to you. 

Thank you,

Elaine

ElaineM
Moderator Moderator

Thanks a lot ElaineM. Although I don't doubt it is a common question in a sense, it was certainly hard to track down anything meaningful (not vague) through the Support Center. After reading your answer I searched again but armed with the knowledge that I needed to check out the AVS filter settings. I then found much more helpful results.

Thanks again for the help!