cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accepting transactions from outside of US

I'm looking to accept online orders using AIM with cards from outside of the US. What I need to know and can't find out is whether there are any address checks done on non-US cards, and also whether there are any AVS controls available to challenge these transactions. The FDS checks don't really go far enough for me and Authorize.net provide no deep info on fraud probabilities on a transaction.

Thanks!

nwsg
6 REPLIES 6

AVS and CVV have limited support outside of the US and that support is almost entirely limited to Canada. So if you are accepting transactions outside of the US and Canada then AVS and CVV will always fail. There are no alternatives available for these cards. If you accept international orders you will need to put busness policies in place that determine the frauid risk for each transaction on your own (which you should be doing for domestic orders as well)..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post
stymiee
Expert
Expert

Understood, and that's very clear, thanks.

However, I'm getting conflicting information on whether Canada is supported in authorize.net through AVS. I've just been told by one of their reps that "unlike cards issued in the US we cannot make checks on card address for Canada".

If that's not correct, what is the answer?

Outside of the US it gets dicey. Some Canadian cards support it and I think some UK cards do, too. But it's not 100% and thus can't be counted on. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post

We are experiencing an issue right now with a UK customer trying to pay us via credit card.  He says it seems to be failing AVS.  I dropped the G, U, and S items in our AVS settings, per the following blurb on that page:

"Not all banks outside the United States will return codes G, U and S. Therefore, these codes are not absolutely effective for preventing transactions from outside the United States."

I don't know if this will let his transaction go through?

Since we have some customers outside the US/CAN, should we drop AVS altogether?  Or is there a way to configure our account to only drop AVS for non-US customers?

John

JohnBoy
Contributor

Instead of using the AVS settings. Do your own code using the AVS response/with the address from the transaction to decide if you want to reject it.

I'd really rather not have to code anything, although I can see where some of the advantages may come in.  When it comes to processing electronic payments, I believe configuration is the first and best option.

Since AVS is so powerful, and (purportedly) effective at stopping fraud, I'd really rather not turn it off completely.  I'd rather leave it on for US/CAN customers, but turn it off for othes.  This should be something that is configurable.  If you think about it, how is my system going to know ahead of time whether this is a US/CAN card/address or not?

John