cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization Process

Greetings!

Anyone here could point me to detailed resource (infographic/flowchart would be very nice) on how authorization and validation is processed behind Authorize.Net? For example, I have a basic credit card validation process on my web site that checks for a valid credit card number format, expiration date, and CVV. How does Authorize.Net handle incorrect information like (card is inactive, expiration date on card mismatch, etc.). I'd also like to know which of those process are charged for a fee or when are those fees applied (maybe a sample scenario with steps/flowchart where the fees applies so I may be able to have an idea of what I am entitled to pay for).

I am also interested on how FDS works with CIM? Like how can my web app know that a transaction was flagged suspicous and that the transaction was set on "hold"? Will this apply a per transaction fee as well aside from the monthly fee for using FDS?

Respectfully,

.gap

gapiangco
1 REPLY 1

If there's a problem, your response will have an error code, an error sub-code, and a basic text description for the error. Depending on your control panel settings, certain things may block the transaction from authorizing and/or capturing, or the transaction may be allowed to go through but be marked as possibly having problems. Those flags should again be in the response. Transaction fees are applied whenever the transaction actually enters the system, as in not having been totally rejected up front. This applies for authorize as well as capture (though I believe both are one fee), and I don't think voiding a transaction gets you your transaction fee back.

My advice for right now is to (a) print out the response from a sample transaction, so you can get an idea of what's being passed back, and (b) to look through all the settings in the control panel. Once you've done that, you can probably ask more specific questions.

TJPride
Expert