cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to upgrade from monthly to annual ARB

Hi -

We want to provide an option for customers to change thier subscription type from monthly to annual billing.  Can someone provide best practices for doing this in Authorize.net?

Some considerations:

1.  We'll need to provide a prorated refund of any prepaid monthly fees

2.  Can we modify the existing subscription or do we need to create a new subscription?

3.  We don't want to prompt the user to reenter credit card details

4.  We're ok with the initial charge happening the day after the subscription starts (as is standard with ARB from what we understand)

Thanks!

cyf
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The ARBGetSubscriptionRequest will return the customerProfileId as well as the customerPaymentProfileId with subscriptionId in the request.

There is the ARBCreateSubscriptionRequest that will create a subscription from a customerProfileId.

Powered by NexWebSites.com -
Certified Authorize.net developers

View solution in original post

NexusSoftware
Trusted Contributor
8 REPLIES 8

If the initial subscription was created with a particular customerProfileId, you could make an ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest, to update an existing ARB subscription. Only the subscription ID and fields that you wish to modify need be submitted.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest xmlns="AnetApi/xml/v1/schema/AnetApiSchema.xsd">
	<merchantAuthentication>
		<name>YOUR_LOGIN_ID</name>
		<transactionKey>YOUR_TRANSACTION_KEY</transactionKey>
	</merchantAuthentication>
	<refId>Sample</refId>
	<subscriptionId>4724470</subscriptionId>
	<subscription>
		<profile>
          <customerProfileId>
    </customerProfileId>
    <customerPaymentProfileId>
          </customerPaymentProfileId>	
  </profile>
	</subscription>
</ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest>
Powered by NexWebSites.com -
Certified Authorize.net developers
NexusSoftware
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @NexusSoftware but per the documentation "The subscription interval information (subscription.paymentSchedule.interval.length and subscription.paymentSchedule.interval.unit) may not be updated." so I don't think that'll work (we'd need to change the interval from montly to yearly).

Yes, that's correct. Then your best option may be to ARBCancelSubscriptionRequest, then ARBCreateSubscriptionRequest from Customer Profile.