cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing address information is NOT being transferred for AVS check

On .Net using AIM.

I am using the AuthorizationRequest object which is being created by passing in the name/value pairs.  The result I get back from LIVE transactions is:

The transaction has been declined because of an AVS mismatch.  The address provided does not match billing address of cardholder.

When I test this against the TEST mode, the transaction goes through, but doesn't show any address information.  Not sure if that is a bug in the testing system or what.

I have confirmed that the address is EXACTLY like the billing address for the card.  However no joy.

Looking at the PHP examples (here: http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/The-Authorize-Net-Developer-Blog/Handling-Online-Payment... shows that the address fields do NOT have the "x_" prefix.  So, I tried that as well.  Same result.

So, I need to know two things:

1. Is it possible for the test mode to do a real AVS check; because it doesn't appear to do anything?

2. How can I get the test mode to actually show the address information that was passed in?

3. How can I fix this in live?

clively
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just figured this out.

I opened the source for the C# SDK.  The AuthorizationRequest(NameValueCollection post) method ONLY supports the credit card number, expiration date, and amount.

It completely ignores ALL of the other fields.

Which kind of brings up the question: why, exactly, does it take a nvc if it's not going to use anything but those three fields?  Rhetorical.

View solution in original post

clively
Contributor
5 REPLIES 5

If the billing information is not making it to the test system or live system then there is an error in your code somewhere. I can't say why it isn't working for you as I haven't seen your code nor do I know .NET but it definitely is a coding issue.

AVS is not actually performed in a test environment since real transactions are not actually performed. But you can control the output of AVS by sending over certain transaction information that will auto-trigger results from the test account. See this for more information on that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post
stymiee
Expert
Expert

I doubt there's an error in my code, but I'm open to suggestions.  The main reason I doubt it is that the transaction itself goes through; it's just the address information isn't being stored.  Below is a code snippet as well as a copy of the data being sent:

========================

NameValueCollection post_values = new NameValueCollection();

post_values.Add("x_login", charge.CommerceLogin);
post_values.Add("x_tran_key", charge.CommercePassword);
post_values.Add("x_version", "3.1");

post_values.Add("x_delim_data", "TRUE");
post_values.Add("x_delim_char", "|");
post_values.Add("x_relay_response", "FALSE");

post_values.Add("x_type", "AUTH_CAPTURE");
post_values.Add("x_method", "CC");
post_values.Add("x_card_num", charge.CardNumber);
post_values.Add("x_card_code", charge.CVV);
post_values.Add("x_exp_date", charge.ExpirationDate);

post_values.Add("x_amount", charge.ChargeAmount.ToString("0.00"));
post_values.Add("x_description", charge.CustomerReference);

post_values.Add("x_address", String.Format("{0} {1}", charge.Address1, charge.Address2).Trim());
post_values.Add("x_city", charge.City);
post_values.Add("x_state", charge.StateCode);
post_values.Add("x_zip", charge.ZipCode);
post_values.Add("x_phone", charge.Phone);
post_values.Add("x_email", charge.EmailAddress);
post_values.Add("x_customer_ip", charge.IPAddress);

// here, I iterate through the post_values collection to get the name value pairs that are being sent to Authorize.Net

String post_string = "";

foreach (String field in post_values.Keys) {

post_string += String.Format("{0}={1}&", field, post_values[field]);

}

post_string = post_string.TrimEnd('&');

// log them.

Elmah.ErrorSignal.FromCurrentContext().Raise(new LogMessageException(post_string));

AuthorizationRequest request = new AuthorizationRequest(post_values);

Gateway gate = new Gateway(charge.CommerceLogin, charge.CommercePassword, true);
var response = gate.Send(request);

if (response.Approved) {
 // here it is approved
} else {
 // this would be a failure
}

========================

The following is output from the logging:

x_login=****REPLACED****
x_tran_key=****REPLACED****
x_version=3.1
x_delim_data=TRUE
x_delim_char=|
x_relay_response=FALSE
x_type=AUTH_CAPTURE
x_method=CC
x_card_num=****REPLACED****
x_card_code=****REPLACED****
x_exp_date=****REPLACED****
x_test_request=Y
x_amount=150.00
x_description=Courses for DV USD
x_address=111 main street
x_city=Addison
x_state=TX
x_zip=75001
x_phone=****REPLACED****
x_email=chris@livelyconsulting.com
x_customer_ip=72.48.207.78

I just switch from using the SDK to instead posting directly to the production Authorize.net url.  Zero other code changes; it worked.  And by Zero, I mean the post string is built the exact same way, with the exact same information.

It looks like the SDK has an issue with passing address information.

I just figured this out.

I opened the source for the C# SDK.  The AuthorizationRequest(NameValueCollection post) method ONLY supports the credit card number, expiration date, and amount.

It completely ignores ALL of the other fields.

Which kind of brings up the question: why, exactly, does it take a nvc if it's not going to use anything but those three fields?  Rhetorical.

clively
Contributor

The reason it's in there (my guess) is for convenience - also if you pass in a naked NameValueCollection you don't know exactly what will be sent along. For instance - you can easily over-post the form (assuming you're using something like MVC) and basically allow a user to set bits of information you might not want set.