cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIM & Credit Card Expiration Date, Required?

I am developing an app which uses CIM to store and process credit cards.  Since credit cards expire, a card generally becomes invalid after 1-2 years. The first thing that came to mind is to basically run reports on credit cards which may expire and then contact each individual person and have them update the expiration date. (whether I store credit card expiration date or just a reminder date we can leave for another discussion).

I did some more thinking, and realized that I have signed up for several services in the past which billed monhtly.  None of these services have ever asked me to update my expiration date.  So, somehow, these companies are getting away with not dealing with expiration date. How are they doing this.  Are companies automatically adding a year to the expiration date when it expires so they dont have to bother you? Are they able to charge the credit card without an expiration date?

The app I am building will have thousands up thousands of automated monthly transactions.. dealing with expiring credit cards will become a nightmare!

Thoughts?

rreynier
Contributor
2 REPLIES 2

Hey rreynier,

Those are good questions. I really have no idea how some of these companies are doing things like that. I think your best bet to find out more would be to do two things: one, contact your MSP and see if they have any additional information about expiration date storage/updates and such. Maybe they know more on their end than I do. And two, I'd recommend subscribing to this topic so that you'll be alerted via email if anyone else from the community is able to respond with any comments. Someone out there may have more of an idea of what's going on here.

To subscribe, click Topic Options at the top of this thread and then select Subscribe. You'll then receive an email once anyone replies to your post.

Thanks,

Michelle
Developer Community Manager

Michelle
All Star

Michelle, I will give that a shot and I find anything out, I will certainly post back here.  I have also subscribed to this thread so hopefully someone will come across this thread and share some information with us!