cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIM gateway delays and timeouts

I'm a developer and I've already successfully integrated our site with CIM using RoR and ActiveMerchant.  Today I am seeing my tests fail and I've determined that this is due to CIM gateway timeouts.  I haven't seen this problem before though I've only been running the tests daily for a few weeks now.   I spoke with live help and they told me the timeout is 10 seconds, and that they knew of no problem with the gateway at the moment--they weren't much help beyond that and were unable to answer all my questions.

I'd like to know:

1) what is the average gateway response time?

2) how often does it timeout?

3) if it does timeout is this likely a sign of systemic problem at that time? (I'm asking so I'll know the effective of just doing retries until success if that scenario occurs--will it just keep failing until some big problem is fixed?)

4) what is the agreed upon uptime for the gateway to not timeout?  (I would have thought it would be up a very high percentage of the time but today I've seen it timing out 20% of the time)

5) what actions can we take if the gateway's performance doesn't match said agreement?

Thanks,

Jason

jasonfisher
4 REPLIES 4

You mentioned that the timeout is 10 seconds...

Is this a fixed timeout or is there a way to change it?

Thanks!!!

missbossy
Contributor

Are you using CIM or hosted CIM? If the former, does the transaction make it to Authorize.net and you just don't get a response back? If the latter, is it your relay response page that's failing to trigger? Are you running this against the sandbox server or the production server? The sandbox server is a lot more unreliable and has greater delays.

Hey TJ,

I'm using hosted CIM in the sandbox. I'm not experiencing any timeouts yet, but I want to either set a timeout or document what the timeout period is.

Thanks!!

Regardless of random failures on sandbox, the production server -should- work without problems, except in rare cases of timeouts having to do with relay response and DNS configuration on your end. If you haven't noticed anything like that, chances are you don't have that problem. I don't know what the actual timeout value is, but 10 seconds is a rather long time, and as long as you log attempts so you can tell if it times out, I would think that would be a good place to start. Never experienced a timeout myself, though I've worked more with AIM and ARB than CIM.