cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIM validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest returns "declined" for valid international CC

I continue to encounter billing failures for real customers when validating a new CIM payment profile for some non-US bank (Australian) credit cards. It would seem that the $0.01 (one-cent) validation transactions are declined by a few banks even when the customer's credit card account is valid.

I've found by hearsay that these declines are probably fraud protection measures put in place by certain banking institutions. It seems like the official CIM API's validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest would be tuned to avoid such failure.

Anyone else see these problems? Would you share your solution to this quandary?

I'm curious if instead of using validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest, calling createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest for $1 & then voiding it would be more likely to be successful?

Curious to hear your experiences,

*Mars

mars
14 REPLIES 14

Hi Trevor,

Can you elaborate on this testMode validation you mentioned?  Have you come across any alternative or more efficient solutions since recommending this workaround?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

The only significant change since the original post is relevant only to Visa.  Last year, Visa mandated that processors support what we call "$0 authorizations".  These are basically transactions run for $0 in order to validate the cardholder information.  As a result of the mandate, we were able to build this into our system and it is utilized for Visa cards when running a liveMode validation.  Since there is no actual amount, you shouldn't be affected by international conversion issues.   Unfortunately, this support is only for Visa, until the other card issuers make similar mandates, it is unlikely there will be widespread enough support for us to build it in for those other card types.

Is this still an issue with CIM's "validate" and international credit cards?

I'll be dealing with mainly international credit cards, and I want to make sure I don't run into this same issue with valid international credit cards being declined because of CIM's "validate".

Thank you,

olimits7

Yes, unfortunately this is still going to be an issue for many internetional cards. Visa cards are able to run "AVS Only" or "$0 Authorizations" instead of running a $0.01 transaction, but this still isn't widely supported for other card types. Successful validation of an international card is best left to "testMode" validation.  You could follow it up with a manual authorization request for $0.05 and an immediate void, but this can't be automated by the CIM system.

It has been almost a year.  Has anything changed on this matter? Most of my customers pay with non US credit card.