cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use customerProfileID from an auth/capture in a new transaction?

When I send an auth/capture transaction, part of what comes back in the response is a customerProfileID. Does this customerProfileID relate only to this particular auth/capture, or can the customerProfileID returned from that auth/capture be used in *new* sales, so I don't need to get the customer's credit card info again for each sale?

In other words, can I use this customerProfileID the same way I could a profile ID that's returned from a createCustomerProfileRequest transaction? I'm confused about the difference between the two.

Thanks!

chawkins7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @chawkins7 

createCustomerProfileTransaction is an older, deprecated method for creating a transaction.  It uses an existing customer profile to create a one-time transaction.

If you're using createTransactionRequest with the Authorize.Net API and set createProfile = true, the system will process a transaction and if successful provide you with a customer profile you can use for future transactions.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello @chawkins7 

Yes, the token returned from a createTransactionRequest can be used for future transactions.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thank you Richard.

What distinguishes these profiles from one created using the createCustomerProfile transaction? The latter seems to return an ID that doesn't change, whereas each auth/capture returns a different profile ID. Are they totally interchangeable?

I appreciate your help - want to make sure I set this up correctly in our ERP solution!

Hello @chawkins7 

createCustomerProfileTransaction is an older, deprecated method for creating a transaction.  It uses an existing customer profile to create a one-time transaction.

If you're using createTransactionRequest with the Authorize.Net API and set createProfile = true, the system will process a transaction and if successful provide you with a customer profile you can use for future transactions.

I hope that helps.

It does indeed - thank you.