cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Capturing payment information from an AIM transaction authorization into CIM

I'm using a ecommerce provider that does not support CIM, but I need to be able to take orders for items that may not be available for several months. I noticed that you could turn an AIM auth transaction into ARB with the web UI and was told by an Authorize.Net sales person that I could turn an AIM auth transaction into a CIM record, but would have to use the API.

The closests I've found in the CIM API docs is "createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest" with "profileTransPriorAuthCapture" and "transID", except that once again creates a transaction, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. I thought about creating a 0.00 transaction and immediately voiding it, but I cannot determine whether that would simultaneously capture the payment information into the Customer's CIM profile for later use, since there is no customer profile payment id coming back.

Am I on the right track, or is what I'm trying to do even possible anyhow?

thanks,

arne

sdether
3 REPLIES 3

I'm using a ecommerce provider that does not support CIM, but I need to be able to take orders for items that may not be available for several months. I noticed that you could turn an AIM auth transaction into ARB with the web UI and was told by an Authorize.Net sales person that I could turn an AIM auth transaction into a CIM record, but would have to use the API.

So you are doing custom code to support CIM? Since both AIM, CIM run on the backend on your server. I think they mean that if you can do AIM, you could do CIM, too.

The closests I've found in the CIM API docs is "createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest" with "profileTransPriorAuthCapture" and "transID", except that once again creates a transaction, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. I thought about creating a 0.00 transaction and immediately voiding it, but I cannot determine whether that would simultaneously capture the payment information into the Customer's CIM profile for later use, since there is no customer profile payment id coming back.

No. You will need to CreateCustomerProfile first than you do the AUTH_CAPTURE createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest when the items are available. When you create a payment profile, you have the option to set the validation mode to either live or test. live will validate the credit card before saving, test will not. There is fee for live mode as it will create an auth_only transaction to validate the CC and then void it.

And NO, profileTransPriorAuthCapture will not create a payment profile. The flow is create payment profile first, then create transactions for it.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

The custom code i'm writing lives outside the site (which is hosted and does not allow custom code). I have the hosted site set to authorize only, requiring manual capture. That means there are authorized, uncaptured transactions via AIM that I usually just capture when I go to full-fill the order.

The special case is pre-orders, for which we do not want to charge until the items comes into stock and which will likely happen after the authorization window for a normal AIM transaction.

So I have an authorized transaction, but I never have access to the customer's credit card information (which is as i want it).

I now want to capture the credit card information attached to that transaction as a customer payment profile in CIM so i can create a CIM transaction at a later time. This seems at least theoretically possible, since you can use that same AIM transaction to create an ARB recurring transaction via the authorize.net web ui.

Now the question is whether this is actually possible with CIM or if the sales person who told me was misinformed.

thanks,

arne

I now want to capture the credit card information attached to that transaction as a customer payment profile in CIM so i can create a CIM transaction at a later time. This seems at least theoretically possible, since you can use that same AIM transaction to create an ARB recurring transaction via the authorize.net web ui.

No, can't create a customer payment profile from a transaction. So the only option is create an ARB.

Now the question is whether this is actually possible with CIM or if the sales person who told me was misinformed.

More likely that they misunderstood your issue.