cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the right option.

Hi there,

I've spent some time looking at the various integration methods, and haven't been able to accurately determine if Authorize.Net can do what we require.

I'll explain.

We develop and sell a web-based POS solution for bricks-and-mortar retailers. Some of our customers are Authorize.Net customers, and have asked us if we can integrate with Authorize.Net.
We've already integrated with Element Payment Services, and what we're looking for from Authorize.Net is a service that is essentially the same as theirs. Requirements are something like this:

- Card-present solution, to avoid extra card-not-present fees. It seems DPM is a card-not-present solution.

- We don't want to touch Card data. We don't want to start down the PCI compliance path, unless it's absolutely essential. As such, an iframed page seems to be about the only way to go. I know DPM comes close, but I believe (rightly or wrongly) that an iframed solution is slightly safer.

- Needs to support a USB magnetic card reader (as a keyboard).

Any and all advice is welcome - please feel free to correct any false assumptions/conclusions I may have.

Cheers,

Dan.

danw
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are a few things to keep in mind here.

Card Present transactions must be sent using the specific Card Present API which allows you to submit track data. This is not something that is possible with any page you may frame from Authorize.Net. We do offer our own Virtual Point of Sale (VPoS) solution for swiping cards and having the data come directly to our site, but htis can only be accomplished with the use of ActiveX. This limits the functionality to Internet Explorer only and is not something that can be framed within your site.

Ultimately, it isn't possible for us to provide a framed site that directly interacts with card readers. Hardware interaction is something that is simply out of scope for web development. In order for your merchants to run transactions as Card Present, it will be necessary for your to read the track data off of the customer's cards and send it to Authorize.Net through the Card Present API.

View solution in original post

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
5 REPLIES 5

The credit limit influences your purchasing power. If you’re new to credit, it’s wise to start out with a low credit limit to become familiar with responsible credit card habits. This way you can choose the right one according to your needs.

jazzalbart

Sorry @jazzalbart, I'm not sure your answer is relevant to my question?

There are a few things to keep in mind here.

Card Present transactions must be sent using the specific Card Present API which allows you to submit track data. This is not something that is possible with any page you may frame from Authorize.Net. We do offer our own Virtual Point of Sale (VPoS) solution for swiping cards and having the data come directly to our site, but htis can only be accomplished with the use of ActiveX. This limits the functionality to Internet Explorer only and is not something that can be framed within your site.

Ultimately, it isn't possible for us to provide a framed site that directly interacts with card readers. Hardware interaction is something that is simply out of scope for web development. In order for your merchants to run transactions as Card Present, it will be necessary for your to read the track data off of the customer's cards and send it to Authorize.Net through the Card Present API.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

I have a question regarding the last reply, 

"In order for your merchants to run transactions as Card Present, it will be necessary for your to read the track data off of the customer's cards and send it to Authorize.Net through the Card Present API."

Is this legal and PCI-DSS compliant? 

Thanks & Regards

Pilla Gurumurty Patrudu 

Hello @pgpatrudu 

Please refer to our In-Person Payments Guide for card present payments.

https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/features/in-person.html

Richard