cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer notification for credit card expiration date

For PCI considerations, it is forbidden to store credit card numbers and expiration dates. However, our client has asked us, the developer of the system, to investigate a possibility to notify the customers of the imminent expiration of the credit card associated with a payment profile. Since customer profiles are created with emails, is there a flag associated with the merchant account that when set will cause Authorize.Net to email every customer 2 months or 3 months before the credit card is about to expire? Authorize.Net emails receipts for the transactions, so I think emailing the customers a notification regarding the imminent expiration date of the credit card on file should be possible.

There are a bunch of articles regarding this very topic, some of them suggesting that the date when the notification is to be sent should be stored instead of the expiration date. I don’t think this is 100% kosher, because it will allow easily for a guess of the actual expiration date. What is the solution Authorize.Net offers for this issue?

Thanks,

Eddie

EddieLascu88CNP
Regular Contributor
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @EddieLascu88CNP 

Customer Information Manager does not currently offer the type of card expiration notification you mention in your post.  I've reported your issue to the product team for consideration in a future release.

I'd recommend subscribing to this topic so that you'll be alerted via email if there are updates. To subscribe, click Topic Options at the top of this thread and then select Subscribe. You'll then receive an email once anyone replies to your post.

Thanks,

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thank you Richard. I subscribed to this topic. Let's hope there will be updates soon. Authorize.Net already sends emails with the receipt for each transaction. It seems to me that it would be rather easy to also send email notifications about the imminent expiration date of the card on file.

Tell me, please, this problem has already been solved?
Where can I read about it?

Hello @MikhailE 

You can use Get Customer Payment Profile List and get a list of cards expiring this month.

https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/#customer-profiles-get-customer-payment-profile-list