cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest require a Credit Card?

The subject says it all:

Are you required to enter/reenter a credit card when using ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest, even if the credit card does not change from the initial creation?

Also, can you update a subscription request (i.e.: renew it) after the subscription has been canceled?

Many thanks,

lduros
4 REPLIES 4

Are you required to enter/reenter a credit card when using ARBUpdateSubscriptionRequest, even if the credit card does not change from the initial creation?

No. Only pass informations that are getting update.

Also, can you update a subscription request (i.e.: renew it) after the subscription has been canceled?

No. Once it cancel, it is done.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Ok, so if updating after "canceling" is impossible. Is there a way I could "pause" the subscription until it gets updated? Basically, I'd like to allow subscribers to stop their subscription and then start it again with a click (without entering the CC info again.)

But maybe there is a way one could create a new subscription without entering the Credit Card information again, provided it was entered once and passed to Authorize.net?

Thanks,

Is there a way I could "pause" the subscription until it gets updated? Basically, I'd like to allow subscribers to stop their subscription and then start it again with a click (without entering the CC info again.)

Nope.

But maybe there is a way one could create a new subscription without entering the Credit Card information again, provided it was entered once and passed to Authorize.net?

I think you could do the thru the merchant account interface, just search on transaction detail to create a ARB.

You might also consider using CIM to do your own scheduling.

http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/The-Authorize-Net-Developer-Blog/Choosing-a-Recurring-Bi...

Having used both ARB and CIM, I'd definitely recommend CIM. ARB has the problem of occasionally failing to update you via silent post, it's non-intuitive when it comes to handling declines, and it has much less flexibility in terms of amounts / scheduling. It also gives you more exposure to credit card data, which I personally don't care that much about (since you're doomed if a hacker gets into your hosting, regardless), but some people might.