cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echeck error response 128 This transaction cannot be processed

We are using AIM and we have a small number of customers that get this error immediately when trying to process an echeck payment with specific checking accounts.

The only information I can find on the error is that it is the banking institution rejecting the transaction. Our customer spoke with his bank and they told him everything was fine with the account. He told us he has used the same account to pay on other sites with no problem.

I talked to authorize.net help desk last year about this and they had no solution or suggestion other than contact the customers bank.

Another odd thing is these customers at one point were able to process payments with these accounts but at some point it stopped working.  I haven't changed any of the coding on our site.

It very well could be the bank rejecting the transaction but it frustrating when the customer calls back and says his bank told him everything checks out.

Anybody come across this?

Thanks

Nic

nic73
6 REPLIES 6

Hello @nic73 

For help with your production account, you'll need to contact customer service with the specific transaction IDs.   They can look at the specific transaction details and assist in troubleshooting your issue.  If you wish, you may request escalation of your issue.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hi,

We are also seeing this for a number of our customer accounts that choose to pay with a checking or a savings account. We log all the responses we receive from Authorize.net and whenever we get Error Code 128 "Transaction Cannot be Processed" there is no transaction id. How can we proceed to figure out what the root cause of this is?

horhey_ortega

Hello @horhey_ortega 

Are you able to duplicate this in the sandbox?  Can you provide the entire respose for a transaction that failed with all sensitive data redacted?

Getting a transaction ID of zero usually indicates that the transaction was submitted using test mode.

Richard

I have dealt with this multiple times and will share what I have found. I can't be certain that my experiences always explain response 128, so understand that this may or may not be what is happening to you. Maybe RichardH can clarify if anything I post is incorrect.

When a customer submits an eCheck transaction, the first thing it does is check the customers bank account against a black list. If the customer's account is on the black list, the error 128 is returned and Authorize.Net does not even attempt to actually process the transaction.

A customer's bank account gets put on the black list after they make a payment that is returned as no account, wrong account, or unable to locate. There are instructions you can give the customer to get their account off the black list, but I probably shouldn't post them here.

Since Authorize.Net didn't attempt the transaction, this creates some confusion:

1. As the previous poster mentioned, you get no transaction id.

2. There is no failed transaction listed in the virtual terminal.

3. if you are using the SIM hosted form, you don't even get the error code. You simply get "This transaction cannot be processed" displayed on the form, and get no relay response.

4. If you contact support, it is my experience that the first level of support cannot see it. Also, it has been my experience that they are also not aware to what the 128 error signifies.

The Authorize.Net documentation simply explains 128 as "The customer’s financial institution does not currently allow transactions for this account". This causes you to normally have the customer contact their bank, which results in frustration for all involved.

I would like to see the following:

- Authorize.Net officially explain this black list process and error 128 in the documentation

- Make sure their support understands it

- Make it so the transaction is logged as an actual transaction with a proper explanation. We should be able to see these in the virtual terminal, get a relay response, get a transaction id, etc just like any other failed transaction.

jruser
Contributor

Thank you jruser! This is the first piece of information I come across that can lead our organization to a solution to fixing these tainted customer accounts. We will definitely pursue that suggestion.

Hi Richard H,

Here is the response from Authorize.net. The transactions are not being sent in test mode. The request also fails in the sandbox. I replaced the sensitive information with question marks.

3|1|128|This transaction cannot be processed.||P|0||Auth Call|1.00|ECHECK|auth_only|??????|Patricia|Ruane|||||||||||||||||||||||543DBC4D7B231F49F394171C6FE436AC|||||||||||||XXXX????|Bank Account||||||||||||||||

horhey_ortega

Greetings,

We are additionally seeing this for some of our client accounts that decide to pay with a checking or an investment account. We log every one of the reactions we get from Authorize.net and at whatever point we get Error Code 128 "Exchange Cannot be Processed" there is no exchange id. How might we continue to sort out what the underlying driver of this is?

rewiw24085