cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Error messages confuse duplicate transaction vs. card declined error in CIM

Hi,

When testing with a live card, we're getting an error, but the information on the error seems inconsistent.  We're using CIM (regular XML API) on an ASP classic website.  The code is sending a validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest call with live validation mode on the live site.  This is accepted ($0 for the Visa card).  Then we send a createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest call for the $2 product.  This is declined.  The error brought back is "[E00027] A duplicate transaction has been submitted."  When I look up E00027, it just says "The transaction was unsuccessful."  But when I search for the specific transaction on Authorize.NET, I get this information: 

Transaction Status: Declined  (Card declined by issuer - Contact card issuer to determine reason.)

There is no record of a duplicate transaction on the site; only the declined transaction shows, and the message seems to indicate that the card was declined by the issuer, not that it had anything to do with any duplication in the API call.  (None of these problems happened when we were validating in test mode and sending a transaction to the test site.  This only shows up when we try a live card in live mode on the live site.)

What I need to know is:

1) Is it possible that sending the validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest prior to createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest triggers a duplication error (even though the amounts are different)?

1b) Could that depend on the bank?  (E.g., some banks will decline the card if the validation was done right before?)

2) Is it possible that maybe the tester's card simply failed (e.g., address didn't match or something), and it was reported as a duplication, but really wasn't a duplication?

2b) If so, why would the card succeed validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest in live validation mode but fail createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest?

3) If there really was a duplication (e.g., if the code unexpectedly called createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest twice somehow), shouldn't this show up when I search transactions?  Shouldn't I see one accepted transaction followed by a declined transaction?  Why do I only see one declined transaction (and no accepted transactions, except the $0 validation transaction) if it's really a duplication?

Thanks!

Newba
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1)As long as the dollar amount is different it will not see it as a duplicate.

2)the only way to tell is to look at the directResponse, and use that info to see the real reponse code/reason code

http://developer.authorize.net/guides/AIM/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=4_TransResponse.htm...

3)Sound like it did the the validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest fine. then a declined $2 transaction , then another $2 transaction which get duplicate rejected.

View solution in original post

RaynorC1emen7
Expert
3 REPLIES 3

1)As long as the dollar amount is different it will not see it as a duplicate.

2)the only way to tell is to look at the directResponse, and use that info to see the real reponse code/reason code

http://developer.authorize.net/guides/AIM/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=4_TransResponse.htm...

3)Sound like it did the the validateCustomerPaymentProfileRequest fine. then a declined $2 transaction , then another $2 transaction which get duplicate rejected.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Thanks.  I think you're right....looking over what happened carefully, it appears that the transaction was declined, and then he tried again, got an error, sent me the screenshot for the second time, and assumed that it was the same error even though it would actually be showing a different error.

So that would explain why there's only one $2 transaction showing in Authorize.Net....If it was a duplicate, then nothing will show for that when I search transactions, right?

Based on your suggestion, I'll make it log the directResponse whenever it gets an error so we know what's going on.

So that would explain why there's only one $2 transaction showing in Authorize.Net....If it was a duplicate, then nothing will show for that when I search transactions, right?

Yes, the duplicate error is from authorize.net, not the processor(issusing bank), that is why there isn't a transaction.