cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding Test vs Live Mode

Hello, 

I've, what I hope, is really simple question about Test Mode.  We have Live Mode enabled now and the temporary charge of $0.01 is causing some noise with our customers, so we'd like to find a way to avoid this charge from happening, but still get the card pre-authorized before we do an actual transaction. 

Can we do this:

1) When a new credit card is added in our system, do the call to Auth.net in Test Mode (so no $0.01 charge will happen) and have this return the approval notice/token 

2) Then when we are ready to charge a card, we'd do a normal/live call and charge the card (i.e. send the token and account ID along with the paymetn info)

Goal:
have credit cards be checked when entered into the system, but do not have the the $0.01 charge happen for anyone; just send the token/account info when we need to charge the card. 

If there's a better way to avoid the $0.01, I'd love to learn that!  

I've read through this help file:

https://support.authorize.net/authkb/index?page=content&id=A400&actp=LIST

Thanks! 

Kwalla25
1 REPLY 1

Hello @Kwalla25

I believe your referring to validationMode parameter with createCustomerProfileRequest.

Indicates the processing mode for the request.

• liveMode: A $0 or $0.01 (depending on card type and processor) live transaction is processed against the card and then immediately voided. Address is required for cards that support $0 authorizations and will be validated along with card code if submitted.
  • testMode: Card data is validated using simple mathematical checks to confirm that it appears to be valid. It is not a guarantee that the card is legitimate and customer data is not validated.
  • None: No validation is performed at all. It is recommended that this option only be used for your integration testing and not for real customers.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator