How should I handle payments on my website?

Hello everyone,,

I dont know if thats a good idea to write everything on my own but stuff like Shopify can get quite expensive... Maybe its not that hard to build and handle payments myself and Im just imagining it? What do you guys do?

Highlighted

Re: How should I handle payments on my website?

The traditional method for collecting payments online is through a merchant account and a payment gateway — such as Authorize.Net. 

A merchant account is basically like a business bank account that accepts credit card payments, and a payment gateway connects your merchant account to your website or online store. 

What might have taken a couple of weeks to set up is now easy to take care of in a day or two with a payment gateway — like PayPal or Square — or with something like Stripe, which offers an all-in-one solution. 

As you research payment gateway solutions, here are some questions you should ask: 

• What are their merchant and transaction fees? 
  • Are there different rates for debit cards and different credit card brands? For example, it’s common for American Express and non-major brands to have higher processing fees. 
  • What are the different rates or fees for back-office payments? 
  • How do they handle disputes and chargebacks? 
  • What type of customer support do they provide? 
  • What countries do they support
  • Are there any products or services that I can’t sell through their payment gateway? For example, many payment gateways won’t allow you to sell guns, knives, or any tactical weapons. 

There are many payment gateways to choose from, but some of the most common include PayPal, Stripe, Square, and Authorize.Net. Here’s a bit about each of these popular payment gateways.