cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to issue partial refund using CIM without ECC?

We have recently transitioned from Paymentech to Authorize.net.  For some unknowable reason, A.net is refusing to turn ECC on for us even though we've been processing credit cards through Paymentech for 7 years.  This is severely complicating our ability to issue refunds.

The specific problem I've run into is issuing partial refunds using CIM profiles.  According to the documentation in the CIM XML spec, without ECC, I can issue refunds only against specific transactions.  This implies that I cannot issue partial refunds.

Can anyone provide details on how to issue partial refunds using CIM profiles without ECC?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

sstringerg2u
3 REPLIES 3

ECC is for unlinked credit (non authorize.net transaction or transaction older than 120 days).

to me, partial refunds mean using the transaction id to refund parts of a transaction (e.g. $10 from a $50 transaction)

Are we talking about the same thing?

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

ECC allows us to apply any credit that is not linked to a specific transaction, regardless of its age.  However, I brought it up only because A.net doesn't allow you to turn ECC on for 120 days after activating your account.  In other words, it's not an option available to me for another 110 days or so.

In this context, I'm refering to any refund to a customer's credit card that is not a full refund of the entire original transaction.

For instance, let's say we charge the customer $300.  Then the customer calls back and wants one fewer option, so now we need to refund $100 of the $300, leaving $200.

It would appear that if I wanted to do this using CIM without ECC, it is only possible to refund the entire $300 transaction, not a portion of it.

What I'm trying to determine is if I'm correct--it is not possible to issue a partial refund via a CIM profile without ECC--or if there's an undocumented ability to issue a partial refund to the card stored in the CIM payment profile.

Thanks,
Steve

From http://www.authorize.net/support/CIM_SOAP_guide.pdf

Page 44

in the CreateCustomerProfileTransaction

There is an amount fields, if you put anything less than the original amount, it a parital refund.