cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing from another paywall, subscription issues/questions

I am currently working on a script to import our current users from another paywall to Authorize.net.

My script works well but I have some concerns that I need to identify in order to ensure a smooth transition without upsetting the userbase. 

My first question is, how can I setup the subscription to honor the current users subscription status? Meaning, I have multiple different subscription types: Monthly, quarterly, and Annually; I want to import the current users and set the start date for billing to be the end date of the current subscription from the original paywall. This leaves some gaps in their status since the subscription will start a month, 3 months, or 1 year later. What is the best way to ensure the user has a valid status but they are billed on the correct date?

My plan was to start their subscription today, then add a free trial for the offset. The issue here being the trials are only for the occurrance of the subscription. So if I have a year subscription and a trial occurance of 1, this gives the user a fill year for free. This will not work.

So now I am thinking of providing a free trial subscription for the total days until they are to be charged, and another subscription to be the actual subscription so that they will be charged properly. This won't work since a subsccription requires a payment. So I cannot give a free trial of x days before the customer is charged. 

What I have currently done, is I created a new subscription for each customer with their new start dates (adjusted from the start date of their current subscription). This has all future dates and some can be a year away. My concern with this is that they really don't have a subscription until the start date (which can be a year away) and I am concerned that this will show the user as having an inactive subscription. When I check their subscription status, it does show as active. My question here, is this expected behavior? Is the start date the date for the customer to be charged? How are they in an active subscription status if their start date is in the future?

I have a bit on uncertainty that I need cleared before I can do this migration on a production environment. Any insights on this would be appriciated.

To clarify what I need to do:

I need to bring my users over from another paywall. I need to maintain their current subscriptions and ensure they are billed on the correct date for the renewal. 

Thanks,

Jeremy

olyJeremy
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Then your problems are solved. I just created a subscription with a start date of 2025-08-30 and this subscription's status is active.