cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating eCheck

Hello!

now I am integrating ACH/eChecks processing and I have couple question:
1) I thought that this is async pocess, so we send request and after some time we will get some notificaton of result. But our test transactions processed synchronously. I lost something and this is just some preliminary response? Or the whole process is synchronous like AIM CC processing?

2) In this documentation https://www.authorize.net/content/dam/authorize/documents/eCheck.pdf
there is a lot of required fields, like `x_bank_acct_type`, `x_bank_name`, `x_bank_acct_name`, `x_echeck_type`, etc. But I sent just `x_bank_aba_code` and `x_bank_acct_num` and seems this is enough for processing.

Full request:
`x_login=XXXXXXXXXX&x_tran_key=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX&x_version=3.1&x_market_type=0&x_delim_char=%7C&x_encap_char=%2F&x_delim_data=TRUE&x_duplicate_window=3&x_type=AUTH_CAPTURE&x_method=ECHECK&x_bank_aba_code=125000024&x_bank_acct_num=22345678&x_bank_acct_type=CHECKING&x_bank_name=Bank+of+the+Earth&x_bank_acct_name=John+Doe&x_echeck_type=WEB&x_recurring_billing=FALSE&x_relay_response=FALSE&x_description=store-dev-vlad-la-la&x_amount=40.25&x_tax=1.5&x_freight=23.75&x_cust_id=51430&x_customer_ip=192.168.10.1&x_company=comp&x_first_name=%D0%92%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80&x_last_name=%D0%A1%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2&x_address=1+Main+St+2+bbb&x_city=SAN+JOSE&x_state=CA&x_zip=95131&x_country=US&x_email=tester%40cart.com&x_invoice_num=4848117&x_ship_to_company=comp&x_ship_to_first_name=%D0%92%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80&x_ship_to_last_name=%D0%A1%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B2&x_ship_to_address=1+Main+St+2+bbb&x_ship_to_city=SAN+JOSE&x_ship_to_state=CA&x_ship_to_zip=95131&x_ship_to_country=US&x_line_item=sku1<|>Prod1<|>Prod1<|>1<|>15<|>YES`

Is it just for sandbox, or production also for processing need only 2 additional fields?

stremglav
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @stremglav,

My sincere apologies, but it looks like you have some old documentation there. For a new integration, we'd recommend starting with the current eCheck documentation and the eCheck specific sections of our API Reference guide.

If you already have an existing integration using our older API (with the "x_" fields), then you might find the PDF helpful for just adding eCheck functionality. But, for anything new, we'd always recommend you start with our current API.

To answer your specific questions, eCheck authorization is not instantaneous, however, you will get a response to your request right away. You need to know immediately whether we received the request and whether there was any obvious problem with the request, so we give you an immediate response to let you know. If that response indicates that the request is successful, that's not a guarantee of funds; it just means that your transaction will be submitted to the customer's bank for funding.

For the fields, it may be possible in some cases to get the transaction to process with only some fields. However, you may find that one bank may have stricter requirements than another, so we suggest providing all of the information for the transaction. In that sense, all of the fields listed would be required for optimal transaction processing in production.

Aaron
All Star

Aaron thank you for the answer, this is very important to me!

The last small question, may be you know is there a way to check the final status of eCheck transaction by your API? Or merchant will understand this by some another way(not by API), for example through some bank notification or something like this?

Hi @stremglav,

Our transaction reporting API can give you the status of a particular transaction at any time.

https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/#transaction-reporting

Hi Aaron,

but this will be the _real_ status in some moment or always the same which auth.net returned imediately after the eCheck processing?

Small addition

As I see auth.net wants transaction id to return transaction details
http://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/index.html#transaction-reporting-get-transaction-detail...

but for eChecks auth.net return 0 as transId, I see some Purchase Order Number, but seems this is not what I need

Hello @stremglav

A transaction id of zero indicates your gateway account is running in test mode.  If you're testing in the sandbox, it should be running live mode.  Test mode limits the gateway to checking credentials only, it does not actually perform transactions or store information.

Richard