cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set the invoice number of the transaction through an api call?

When submitting a transaction to authorize.net i have heard that there is a benefit in sending the invoice number or the invoice number field through the authorize.net api. Is it correct that including the invoice number in the transaction sent to authorize.net will save some fees?

My second question is whether it is possible to set the invoice number after the initial transaction is submitted. The problem with including the invoice id the first time sending transaction to authorize.net is that my application only generates the invoices after it receives confirmation from authorize.net that the transaction has been approved. So, if i want to associate an invoice id to a transaction in authorize.net then i will need to make a second call to authorize.net to set the invoice id for a particular transaction. Is there a way to achieve this?

I appreciate your help. 

Thanks!

kofhearts
Contributor
2 REPLIES 2

About fees, you need to talk to your mechant bank. but I doubt invoice# will lower the fees.

Not sure, but if I remember correct, nothing get update after the initial authorization, other then you can capture less then what authorization.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

That is correct. You can change the status of a transaction (that is, you can capture an Authorize Only transaction, or void a transaction prior to settlement) and you can also capture an Authorize Only transaction for less than the original authorization. But you cannot edit details of the transaction.

My recommendation is to consider generating a temporary invoice number, submit that, and then discard the invoice number if the transaction declines. If it is successful, you may then record the invoice number in your system.

--
"Move fast and break things," out. "Move carefully and fix what you break," in.