cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a reason not to use the ARB api for one off payments?

It seems kind of silly to me that the AIM api use a comma delimited string/query string but the ARB uses XML or SOAP.  (also seems silly that the AIM api takes a query string but returns a comma delimited string)

Our site supports both one off payments and recurring payments. In order to keep things simplified, I'd rather just use one API rather then using two different API that accept and return data in two totally different formats.

Is there any reason not to use the ARB api to process a single payment? i.e. create a subscription with totalOccurrances set to 1 ?

Ian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

the problem is the ARB doesn' t run until the schedule startdate, that mean you will not found out if the credit card info is valid or not.

also, you could use XML with AIM, http://developer.authorize.net/api/aim/ search on  XML Documentation

View solution in original post

RaynorC1emen7
Expert
3 REPLIES 3

the problem is the ARB doesn' t run until the schedule startdate, that mean you will not found out if the credit card info is valid or not.

also, you could use XML with AIM, http://developer.authorize.net/api/aim/ search on  XML Documentation

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Ahh - very good point and reason not to use ARB to do the one off billing.

But if that's true, then that would also mean when someone signs up for subscription, if i want to be sure their credit card is valid, i would need to submit the first payment using AIM and then submit a seperate ARB transaction minus one billing interval since the first interval would have been covered in the one-off payment.

And thank you for pointing out there's an XML implementation of AIM. Rather keep everything using as much of the same interface as possible. 

Yes, it is best to use AIM to do the first payment, or at least do a auth_only of $0.01 to test the credit card before creating an ARB.