cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Merchant Email Receipt when x_description field used

I've got the processing working pretty well at the moment with an ASP.net MVC3 website, posting transactions using the SIM method.

However, this morning I decided to go ahead and add a description to my transactions, using the x_description field.  That works fine, and shows up on the transaction, but the automated email I get back doesn't display the 'ORDER INFORMATION' section properly when I use that field.

For example, an email receipt with description field NOT used:

========= ORDER INFORMATION =========

Invoice :

Description :

Amount : 1875.00 (USD)

Payment Method : American Express

Type : Authorization and Capture

Now, here is that same section of an email receipt when using the description field

Invoice :

Description : Conference Registration #1340 Amount : 1875.00 (USD) Payment Method : Visa Type : Authorization and Capture

As you can see, the line breaks were removed when the description was added; I tried a few different times, same result each time.

Is this something I can configure to put the line breaks back in, or what do I need to do to fix this?  I know it's just a display issue, but will be a headache for me once our accounting people start getting these emails and asking me to fix it.

MRussell
4 REPLIES 4

It looks like this is a result of the pound characther (#) being included in the description.  I'll report this to our developers to look into the cause, but for the moment you can avoid the issue by simply removing that character.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

I'm having a similar issue without the # symbol (email pasted below). Can you take a look and see if there are any invalid characters in my test receipt?

------------------------------

Subject: Merchant Email Receipt

**Please DO NOT REPLY to this message. E-mail developer@authorize.net if you have any questions.

========= SECURITY STATEMENT ==========

It is not recommended that you ship product(s) or otherwise grant services relying solely upon this e-mail receipt.

========= GENERAL INFORMATION =========

Merchant : Merchant Name (366278)

Date/Time : 18-Jul-2013 10:06:04 PDT

Invoice :

Description : APP Application Fee

Amount : 125.00 (USD)

Payment Method : American Express

Type : Authorization and Capture

============== RESULTS ==============

Response : This transaction has been approved.

Authorization Code : 3C0YU9

Transaction ID : 2195833092

Address Verification : Street Address: Match -- First 5 Digits of Zip: Match

==== CUSTOMER BILLING INFORMATION ===

Customer ID : 29796

First Name : Test

Last Name : User

Company : Child & Family Guidance Center Address : 6851 Lennox Avenue City : Van Nuys State/Province : CA Zip/Postal Code : 91405 Country : N/A Phone : 818-887-0967 Fax : N/A E-Mail : test@test.com

==== CUSTOMER SHIPPING INFORMATION ===

First Name : Test

Last Name : User

Company : Child & Family Guidance Center Address : 6851 Lennox Avenue City : Van Nuys State/Province : CA Zip/Postal Code : 91405 Country : N/A

======= ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ======

Tax : 0.00

Duty : 0.00

Freight : 0.00

Tax Exempt : No

PO Number : N/A

kgar

Hi,

The email example that you provided appears to be complete. Can you clarify what issue you are experiencing?

Thanks,
Joy
Joy
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

You need to use the orderType object to set the Description. Code snippet below.

var ord = new orderType
{
description = "xxxxxx",
};

And then in the transactionRequestType object set the order setting to your orderType obj (ord).

var transactionRequest = new transactionRequestType
{
transactionType = transactionTypeEnum.authCaptureTransaction.ToString(), // charge the card

amount = total_amount,
payment = paymentType,
billTo = billingAddress,
lineItems = lineItems,
customer = customerInfo,
order = ord,
};

Once the request is processed receipts and Invoices from Auth.Net will show your description in the Description field instead of the default description of "Goods or Services".

Rick