cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make sure CC info entered is valid, without charging anything

I'm very new to Auth.net, so I'm afraid that I don't know the terminology to use here.

I'm wanting the system to verify that the card number, expiry, CVC2, cardholder name, and billing address are correct, but NOT actually charge anything yet. What steps do I take for this?

If it matters, I'm playing in the sandbox right now, but am hoping to take it live by the end of the week.

Further, do transaction fees apply when doing this?

TIA,

Jason

jwcarlton
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You would authorize the transaction but not capture it yet. It's as simple as changing the type to AUTH_ONLY (or using the API function for authorizeOnly). This is if you're using AIM, of course - you could also theoretically use CIM if you need ongoing subscriptions, and in that case there's something called validation mode that lets you test credit cards in billing profiles without actually entering an official transaction, even just an authorized ones (internally, it generates a charge of $0.01 and then immediately voids it).

Not sure about transaction fees, but would guess they only apply if you capture.

View solution in original post

TJPride
Expert
5 REPLIES 5

You would authorize the transaction but not capture it yet. It's as simple as changing the type to AUTH_ONLY (or using the API function for authorizeOnly). This is if you're using AIM, of course - you could also theoretically use CIM if you need ongoing subscriptions, and in that case there's something called validation mode that lets you test credit cards in billing profiles without actually entering an official transaction, even just an authorized ones (internally, it generates a charge of $0.01 and then immediately voids it).

Not sure about transaction fees, but would guess they only apply if you capture.

TJPride
Expert

You're right, I'm using AIM, and trying to use the API. I couldn't find that function anywhere, so that helps a lot! Thanks.

FYI for future readers, my processing company confirmed that yes, all transaction fees do apply to Authorize Only transactions. Which kind of blows; it sounds like I'll be doubling up on fees for a little added security.

Do they charge once for authorize and once per capture or once for both regardless of whether you do them together or separate?

My understanding is that it's once, regardless of whether they're done together or separate. But my plan to authorize $0.01, then void it, and later do an authorizeAndCapture() on a real transaction, would inevitably become too expensive.