cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual Method for Creating User Profiles for Variable Recurring Payment?

My company wants to set up the ability to process recurring payments of variable amounts by charging tokenized user accounts, without ever having to store the users' credit card info on our end. They also are looking to do it with as little burden on the development team as possible.

Is there a way for our accounting department to go into authorize.net and manually create user profiles by looking at past transactions? I couldn't figure out a way to do that, especially since we don't have access to the user's credit card information.

If it is impossible to do this without a development project, do you know if the fastest/ easiest solution for our development team would be to Create a Customer Profile from a Transaction

Someone else recommended that I follow the following steps, but I want to make sure I'm finding the solution with the least development work:

UsecreateCustomerProfileRequest to create the customer profile

Use getHostedProfilePageRequest to obtain a token to invoke the form using data from first step

Use the token to present the appropriate form

Manage - Allows customer to add/remove/modify all of the payment and shipping profiles

Add or Edit Payment - display just the add/edit payment option

Add or Edit Shipping - display just the add/edit shipping option.

Is there a third option (or more) that I'm missing? Can someone who has experienced something similar to this please give me an idea of what to expect as far as the burden this would put on our development team in terms of manhours?

I apologize if I'm missing anything obvious here-- I'm a business analyst, and my background is not in development. Thank you in advance for your help.

djgower
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @djgower

@djgower wrote:

Is there a way for our accounting department to go into authorize.net and manually create user profiles by looking at past transactions? I couldn't figure out a way to do that, especially since we don't have access to the user's credit card information.

If it is impossible to do this without a development project, do you know if the fastest/ easiest solution for our development team would be to Create a Customer Profile from a Transaction?  

Currently you must use the API to create a customer profile from a transaction.  If the transaction was created within the last 120 days, you can use this api call.

@djgower wrote:

Someone else recommended that I follow the following steps, but I want to make sure I'm finding the solution with the least development work:

UsecreateCustomerProfileRequest to create the customer profile

Use getHostedProfilePageRequest to obtain a token to invoke the form using data from first step

Use the token to present the appropriate form

Manage - Allows customer to add/remove/modify all of the payment and shipping profiles

Add or Edit Payment - display just the add/edit payment option

Add or Edit Shipping - display just the add/edit shipping option.

This another option would allow you to create customer profiles for your existing customers and enable your customer to manage their customer profiles on your website.
Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thank you @RichardH. Would we be able to use a hosted payment form for the original transaction, then immediately create a customer profile from a transaction for that transaction to generate the customer profile to charge for future payments? Would that be easier than the other version?

@djgower

Yes.  If you need to immediately make the first charge using a hosted form is certainly a good choice.  You also have the option of setting the createProfile flag on the transaction request.  If payment is successful, it will also create a customer profile all in one step.

Richard

@RichardH this sounds like it might be the right solution for us.

To confirm, we only need to use "Get an Accept Payment Page," and set the createProfile flag on the requests that go through it? Is it as simple as that, or am I missing a step? Thank you.