cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple captures on a single authorized only transaction

It's been many years since I worked with Authorize.Net, so I need a little push in the right direction if possible.

I have a website that is currently using your AIM method to process one-time payments. Now I have been asked to change it so they can handle backorders (as in the customers order 50 of one item, admins ship and charge for 30 this week, then next week, they can ship the other 20, and charge for them at that time, completing the order.

From what I can tell, I think I need to do the following:
  1. Authorize the Customers CC
  2. Create a Customer Profile From a Transaction
    (I think authorizing the CC transaction works for this, right?)
  3. Store the Customer Profile ID and Customer Payment Profile ID somewhere on our server.
  4. Use the stored ID's to make the incremental quantity captures by Capturing From Customer Profile.

Is this correct, and/or what else do I need to know?

Thanks,

Rob

Llama56
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Llama56

Only a single capture per authorization is possible, but you've got the basic flow down.  Instead, do the following;

1. Authorize a transaction and set the create transaction flag as true.  If the authorization is successful, you'll get the customer profile in the response.
  2. Issue a Prior Authorization and Capture for this transaction so it will settle.
  3. For subsequent transactions, use the customer profile for payment instead of card data.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Just to clarify, in your step 2, I would capture and settle just the total of the first shipment, not the whole authorized amount, correct? Then do the same for however many other shipments are needed, using the customer profile instead of prior authorization used in step 2.

Using the customer profile for payment, am I still limited to the total amount authorized originally for any accumulated charges? For example, if you ordered 10 shirts for $100 total, then you called me and said you actually want 15 shirts, do you have to reenter your credit card to authorize $150, or can I just run the extra against your customer profile? 

Thanks,

Rob

@Llama56

When you capture an amount that is less that the authorization, the portion not captured is no longer available and is released.  Each subsequent transactions will require a new authorization.

Richard