cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple payment methods vs. split tender

I'm trying to get a feel for what's going on with these partial payment requirements and ran into a question.  Is there (was there) a means to accept multiple payment methods under a single combined authorization request or bundle prior to this requirement?

From what I understand, the partial-payment implementation is triggered by a payment method that does not cover the entire amount requested - but I'm now just wondering how Authorize prefers to handle where the customer simply desires say the first $100 on his Amex and the second $100 on his Visa?  Can these authorizations be bundled under a single transaction ID with different Auth codes coming back for each (for ease of book-keeping) or do they need to be separated?

SW

treii28
Contributor
6 REPLIES 6

OK, I had a hard time coming up with search terms but did end up finding a few threads on the subject.  One said that the only way to 'batch' transactions was via the Merchant Interface which leads me to another question.

If the method to 'split' the payment needs to be handled with different authorization requests entirely using the AIM, then why have a split_tender based transaction process at all?  That seems to be seeking such a bundling but, at least from my reading on it, is only triggered when the method used to request authorization fails to meet the total amount requested to be authorized.  If partial payment by request is handled separate then what is the logic behind 'bundling' partial payment by insufficient balance on the initial card(s) used to request authorization?

treii28
Contributor

Hi treii28,

You are correct that partial authorization is only used when the total amount is not authorized by the first payment method used by the customer, in order to allow them to use a secondary method of payment for the remaining balance. It is not currently possible to allow the customer to choose to use a specific card type for a specific amount of the total balance on their own and, to answer another of your questions, there was not a method of allowing partial authorization at all prior to the release of this feature in our system.

Thank you,

Elaine

Elaine
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If I get a 'split_tender_id' response back from the server, is it going to break anything if I just decide to conclude that as is for the value approved? (sort of like a PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE?)  And if so, what values from the response are required to accept the amount approved by itself and conclude the authorization for that amount?  (e.g. split_tender_id, authorization code, transaction id, etc)

SW

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are asking but if you decide to accept a previously authorized portion of a transaction without processing additional transactions to cover the remaining balance you must use the prior auth capture transaction type to do so. The following is taken from the AIM guide, located at http://www.authorize.net/support/AIM_guide.pdf, in relation to this:

If successfully authorized, all transactions in the group are held until the final transaction of the group is successfully authorized.
If the merchant needs to release the group of transactions before the final one is approved (if the balance is paid by cash, for example), send a prior auth capture request and include the split tender ID instead of a transaction ID.

If you do not plan on capturing any of the funds associated with the partial auth transaction you can let it expire naturally after 30 days or you can void it.

Thank you,

Elaine

Elaine
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Well, it says 'until the final transaction of the group is processed' - what I'm saying is that as soon as you get a partial authorization, just consider that transaction as the 'final transaction in the group' and somehow finalize it.

The test server allows me to do this, but I wasn't sure how the zipcode-triggered behavior emulates the live behavior as to whether or not this would work the same way on live transactions.

Hi treii28,

Because I feel like I've answered this question already, perhaps what you are saying and how I perceive it are not aligned so please forgive me for repeating myself.

In my previous response I copied a section from the guide that states:

"If the merchant needs to release the group of transactions before the final one is approved (if the balance is paid by cash, for example), send a prior auth capture request and include the split tender ID instead of a transaction ID."

What this means is that if you do not want to complete the group of transactions with another transaction from your customer, and simply want to consider this group already authorized as complete, you should submit a prior_auth_capture request to capture the authorized amount for settlement with your next scheduled batch.

Again, if I am not understanding your question I apologize. Please feel free to clarify it for me if necessary.

Thank you,

Elaine

Elaine
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor