cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VISA requirement of separate transaction fee

We have been submitting credit card transaction requests to the payment gateway using the AIM method.
Specifically, our exam fee and the convenience fee were added together and sent as one transaction request.  So if
someone purchased a $50 exam, and our convenience fee is $1.95, we would submit one request with x_amount = $51.95.
I have been told that Visa now requires a separate transaction fee in a separate transaction request.
Can you please let me know if there is any specific information on your website regarding this new requirement?

kbh
7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

If this is a new requirement, it is not one that I am familiar with. I would recommend contacting whoever told you about this requirement for more information.

Thanks,
Joy
Joy
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

We are also working to implement this new requirement (using the DPM integration method) for a separate transaction for the service fee as part of the VISA Government and Higher Education Program.  It does indeed have very specific requirements for the service fee associated with the primary transaction to be submitted separate from the original payment amount.  So, KBH, did you ever figure out how to implement this requirement through Authorize.net?  If so, would you mind sharing your solution with me? 

ksisler

We don't have any specific support for service fee transactions. However, the requirement appears to be only that it is run separately from the main transaction. It doesn't appear that there is any reason why you can't simply run it as a separate, independent transaction in our system. The only downside is that we won't necessarily tie the two transactions together for you.

Thank you for responding, Trevor.  Your solution is an option, but we really need to tie the two transactions together so that if either of the two transactions were denied for any reason, that neither would process.  For instance, if we do a $4,000 tuition payment transaction and it gets an authorization, and then we turn around and charge a $100 service fee (2.5%) that gets denied due to the card being over the limit, then we want to deny the payer the option to pay by credit card due to NSF.  In that instance, neither transaction would get processed.  How can we do that through Authorize.net?  Or, would we have to build logic into our application?  I would appreciate any additional information. 

You could do auth_only first for fee before Prior Authorization and Capture on both.

yes. you sould need to build logic.

Ksisler:  Long story short, we did not wind up separating out the transaction fee, but kept the fee and charge in one transaction.  In the case where the charge was approved, but the fee wasnt', we would have had to reverse the original charge.  We planned to tie the transactions together by our own internal numbering system in the x_invoice_num field.  The other situation you have to code for is if the orignal charge goes through ok, but comm gets lost after the fee request goes out.  Usually no one ever thinks about broken communications, but someone will want to reconcile the $ cash receipts received against the $ the database shows came in.

Good luck!

VISA Government and Higher Education Program.  It does indeed have very specific requirements for the service fee associated with the primary transaction to be submitted separate from the original payment amount. https://www.examsleader.com/HPE6-A72-exam.html