cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Charge at shipment time

He guys, 

I am new to Authorize.net and I have a quick good question here :)

I know that my gateway will automatically submit a batch of successful transactions  daily at a predefined time for settlement. Now lets say I want to just authorize the user's card but actually charge them at the shipping time. How do I do that ? Is there like a status before "pending for settlement" status that I can set it, like "sucesful verified" or something like that only. And then I could flip the status of the transaction to  "pending for settlement" later when I ship out the products ?

Please let me know your solution to this common problem. 

Thanks!

fantomknight
Contributor
22 REPLIES 22

Any chance of adding in a transaction fee as default, then refunding after - once you have verified the status?

FYI, adding the processing fee is against Visa and MasterCard guidelines and can get you shut down. If you're going to do it you either need to label it something else or blend it into their costs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post

:smileysurprised: thank goodness you said that :smileyhappy:

TSdotNet
Trusted Contributor

ohh I've never known that. Can I just simply call it "transaction fee" and explain that its fee to process card transaction ? Is it still against Visa or Master processing guideline ? 

Also do you guys know if a merchant gets charged for a declined or an invalid transaction ?

Do we get charged for all authorized attempt or just successful settled ones ?

Thanks!

@fantomknight wrote:
ohh I've never known that. Can I just simply call it "transaction fee" and explain that its fee to process card transaction ? Is it still against Visa or Master processing guideline ? 

Also do you guys know if a merchant gets charged for a declined or an invalid transaction ?

Do we get charged for all authorized attempt or just successful settled ones ?

Thanks!

You can't call it a transaction fee. That's exactly what they don't want you to do. If you are going to charge this fee you need to label it something that in no way ties it to the payment. 

Unless you have a great deal with your merchant account provider you get charged for every transaction. This includes your merchant account provider and Authorize.Net.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

got ya.

Do you know how they charge for a declined transaction ? Lets say i have a bad customer who repeatedly attempted to pay a cart of $5000 - 10 times . All 10 times were declided,. Lets say my rate is 2.5% + 30c . Will I owe them 2.5% + 30c each for all those 10 declined 5000s ? That does not make sense at all.

Any idea here?

Also any idea on how to protect your self against fraud and having shipping addresses different from billing addresses even though all those information was submitted by buyers ? I see Amazon and many other companies allow consumers to have different shipping and billing addresses . How do they protect themselves against fraud chargebacks ? Any idea? I live-chatted with a authorize.net rep and they said that in their experience, you have zero chance .... is it that depressing?

@fantomknight wrote:

got ya.

Do you know how they charge for a declined transaction ? Lets say i have a bad customer who repeatedly attempted to pay a cart of $5000 - 10 times . All 10 times were declided,. Lets say my rate is 2.5% + 30c . Will I owe them 2.5% + 30c each for all those 10 declined 5000s ? That does not make sense at all.

Any idea here?

They only charge the percentage portion of your rate on successful transactions. Declined transaction only incur a transaction fee. This is to cover the cost of processing the transaction even though it was declined.

@fantomknight wrote:

Also any idea on how to protect your self against fraud and having shipping addresses different from billing addresses even though all those information was submitted by buyers ? I see Amazon and many other companies allow consumers to have different shipping and billing addresses . How do they protect themselves against fraud chargebacks ? Any idea? I live-chatted with a authorize.net rep and they said that in their experience, you have zero chance .... is it that depressing?

Use your brains. The vast majority of fraud with mismatching shipping and billing addresses are obviously fraudulent but businesses are so eager for sales they'll accept them anyway. If the billing and shipping addresses don't match check your fraud indicators (AVS, CVV, call the customer, etc.). The more of them that are positive the more likely it is fraudulent and you should refund the transaction.