cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only Charge at shipment time

He guys, 

I am new to Authorize.net and I have a quick good question here :)

I know that my gateway will automatically submit a batch of successful transactions  daily at a predefined time for settlement. Now lets say I want to just authorize the user's card but actually charge them at the shipping time. How do I do that ? Is there like a status before "pending for settlement" status that I can set it, like "sucesful verified" or something like that only. And then I could flip the status of the transaction to  "pending for settlement" later when I ship out the products ?

Please let me know your solution to this common problem. 

Thanks!

fantomknight
Contributor
22 REPLIES 22

Thank you for this post John,

i was searching for information regarding CC expiration year rules as i have an old data entry app that for some reason is limiting the expiration year to  (current year thru curent year+6).

Your post indicates there should not be a restriction on the year, it will be the bank that tells me whether it is valid or not.

Maybe our self-imposed limit is for a business reason, i will ask around at work.

NJ

Hi All:

We're trying to integrate a pre-sale on a book, but would not like to charge until the book is shipped.  There will be a 60 day window between the launch of the pre-sale and the shipping date, which is beyond the 30 day authorization window.  Is there a way to capture the customer details and not charge them for 60 days?  You help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

snarficus33

Yes, with CIM (Customer Information Manager). Essentially, you have Authorize.net store their credit card info in a billing profile, then you can charge them at any time - at least assuming their info hasn't changed in the last 60 days. Keep in mind that from a logic perspective, you need to reject credit cards that are going to expire before the bill date, and you should also set up the billing profile in validation mode so the credit card is verified as working. Validation mode charges the credit card $0.01 or $0.00 and then immediately voids the transaction.