cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE Issue - transaction not moving to SETTLED

Hi All,

Our payment process is as follows:

1. User comes in and purchases a haircut appointment for lets say a week out. So today the user comes in and makes a $40 purchase for a haircut for Nov 20th.

2. We place a hold on their card right away. (AUTH_ONLY)

3. On nov 20th, the day of the appointment, we will place a PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE request on that same transaction above.

What we are seeing is that many such transactions are not moving to the settled state. They remain in the AUTH_ONLY state on our authorize.net dashboard. This is weird, because the response we get from authorize.net API (for PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE request) is something like this:

#<ActiveMerchant::Billing::Response:0x0000000ca3d098 @params={"messages"=>{"result_code"=>"Ok", "message"=>{"code"=>"I00001", "text"=>"Successful."}}, "direct_response"=>{"raw"=>"1,1,1,This transaction has been approved.,00532Z,P,5654859284,,,40.00,CC,prior_auth_capture,,,,,,,,60559,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,94F45CC3CFBF925A7B5902D6299A83BC,,,,,,,,,,,,,XXXX4867,MasterCard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,", "response_code"=>"1", "response_subcode"=>"1", "response_reason_code"=>"1", "message"=>"This transaction has been approved.", "approval_code"=>"00532Z", "avs_response"=>"P", "transaction_id"=>"5654859284", "invoice_number"=>"", "order_description"=>"", "amount"=>"40.00", "method"=>"CC", "transaction_type"=>"prior_auth_capture", "customer_id"=>"", "first_name"=>"", "last_name"=>"", "company"=>"", "address"=>"", "city"=>"", "state"=>"", "zip_code"=>"60559", "country"=>"", "phone"=>"", "fax"=>"", "email_address"=>"", "ship_to_first_name"=>"", "ship_to_last_name"=>"", "ship_to_company"=>"", "ship_to_address"=>"", "ship_to_city"=>"", "ship_to_state"=>"", "ship_to_zip_code"=>"", "ship_to_country"=>"", "tax"=>"", "duty"=>"", "freight"=>"", "tax_exempt"=>"", "purchase_order_number"=>"", "md5_hash"=>"94F45CC3CFBF925A7B5902D6299A83BC", "card_code"=>"", "cardholder_authentication_verification_response"=>""}}, @message="Successful.", @success=true, @test=false, @authorization=nil, @fraud_review=nil, @avs_result={"code"=>nil, "message"=>nil, "street_match"=>nil, "postal_match"=>nil}, @cvv_result={"code"=>nil, "message"=>nil}> 

thathoo
Contributor
9 REPLIES 9

I would suggest reviewing our developer training video on payment fundamentals.  It explains the the authorization, capture and settlement process in more detail.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

I have seen that. In fact I should state that many times those PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE requests do indeed move forward into the Settlement state. But quite often they dont. I dont understand why that would be even after getting a success message from the api.

When did you check to see if they settled or not?

Well days later... in some cases weeks later... 

So, you are not getting pay because it wasn't settled? And the transactionID do match between the Auth_only and PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE? might need to contact support as it might not be a integration issue.

Thats exactly right. The transactionID definitely match. How do I contact support? 

This is a production/live account?

It is all transactions? or just some? specific credit card type? Have you try prior_auth_capture a transaction thru the dashboard to see if it change to status?

http://www.authorize.net/support/

This is a production account. It happens intermittently (not all transactions) across all CC types (visa/MC/AmEx. Not tried to do prior_auth_capture on the dashboard yet. I can try. 

Do you log the date and time of those prior_auth_capture? It might be helpful for them for debugging the issue.