cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial Capture - How to return the remainder?

This is a very complete forum with lots of examples.  I have found myself learning many new things.  Thanks!

We are hoping that we are already compliant with the new Partial Auth regulations, but I cannot find a forum topic which hits our exact situation.

• * In a nutshell, we auth to let the guest begin using our service.  Let's say $20.
  • * While using the service, the guest can ring up charges.  It can be more or less than the initial auth amount.  My concern is about where it is less. Let's say they only use $5.
  • * When finished, we do a capture referencing the prior auth, and we wish to release the remaining amount.  In this case, $15.

Can someone please confirm that Auth.Net automatically releases the unused portion of an auth when an associated capture happens?

I have found questions similar to mine, but they talk about examples where the remaining $15 should be captured at a later time.  We wish to release it ASAP.

For example:

* Topic http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/Multiple-Transactions-Using-One-... at the bottom says the issuer returns the uncaptured amount automatically, usually about 3-7 days.

* Topic http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/Partial-Capture/m-p/8790 post number 2 says that the remainder will be released, but doesn't give a timeframe.

Thanks very much for your time.

Jeff

e11jwebster
2 REPLIES 2

I am answering my own question.  I have talked with customer support, and they verify that there are no steps needed for us to take in order to be compliant.  In the case of a capture amount being less than the authorized amount, when the batch is settled by the processor, the auth is released automatically after the capture has occurred.

Thanks again,

Jeff

e11jwebster

That answers what I have been looking for. Thanks.