cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partial refunds and original transactions

Hello all!

I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so sorry if it's been posted before.

I'm using the AIM method in ColdFusion, but the heart of the matter is more towards the way Auth.net functions.

Here's what I'm trying to wrap around my head before I start coding. If I have taken a payment, and it has posted, and then part of that is refunded, I'm assuming that it produces another transaction number. Now, what happens with the original transaction number? Is the amount adjusted?

Basically, I'm trying to suss out if I'm going to need to do a bunch of math on my back end in the nightware scenario that I have to partially refund someone and then either partially refund them again or fully refund them, and even then I don't know which transaction number I would use to continue refunding money. Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

drudnick
1 REPLY 1

The original transaction is not modified when a refund transaction is created that references it.  However, Authorize.Net does keep track of the total amount of refunds against a transaction and you will receive an error if you attempt a refund that would cause the total of amount of refund transactions to exceed the amount of the original transaction.

For example, if an initial transaction was for $40 and you issued a $20 refund, then you would receive an error if you then tried to issue another $25 refund.  You would not receive an error if you attempted a second $20 refund.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator