cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Registering iOS Device for Testing (in Merchant Account)

I am trying to get my mobile device (iPhone 4S) registered on my test merchant account so I can use the SDK to send transactions from the iOS device.

I have downloaded the latest version of the SDK from Authorize.NET. I have been over and over the sample code several times. I've also been through the "up in 15 minutes" for iOS example many times. For one thing, the "up in 15 minutes" page leaves several things out that is in the README for the SDK--which I found incredibly confusing, as I kept getting referred back to the "15 minutes" page.

That said, the "15 minutes" page indicates that you just use that sample code and the first time you run it, the device will show up in "pending status" in the merchant account (Mobile Device Management). This is not correct as far as I can tell. When you run the sample code, if you look in the output console in Xcode, you see the following message output:

"The mobile device is not registered with this merchant account."

Of course I know it isn't registered, that's what I'm trying to do. So after reading a couple of posts in these forums, I was told that you don't actually just run the sample code as the "15 minutes" example, or the README in the SDK indicates, but instead you must actually call the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: method the very first time you use a device and this will actually register it with the merchant account.

Well, I've written code to call mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: as well, and that doesn't work either. After running that code, I also get the message "The mobile device is not registered with this merchant account." And I checked Settings in the merchant account one more time, just to make sure the device hadn't appeared in "pending status"--which of course it didn't.

I'm completely stuck and this is getting incredibly frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what is going on with this and how to get a device successfully registered using the iOS SDK?

For reference, here is the code I wrote for the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: method:

MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest *mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest = [MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest];

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDeviceId = @"XXXXX";

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDescription = @"XXXXX";

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.phoneNumber = @"99999";

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.name = @"username";

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.password = @"password";

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.mobileDeviceId = [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier];

Note that I have removed my information from the "mobileDevice" object and the user name and password. Further, the "uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier" is a custom function I'm using that generates a unique device ID since the UUID functionality is deprecated in iOS 5 by Apple. 

Thanks,

Chris

chrisdressler
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK, so I figured this out and successfully got a device to register. For those having the same problem (sample code not working, the "up and running in 15 minutes" page missing details):

All of the information I wrote above is correct--meaning the sample code and README are missing a few steps. The major piece being you have to call the method mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: not just run the sample code and then look for your device in the Mobile Device Management area of https://test.authorize.net. It would be nice if all of this documentation was updated by Authorize.NET so it was consistent and not confusion--and most importantly, missing key bits of informaiton.

My problem below with the code was I was sending this line as a part of my call (which isn't needed):

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.mobileDeviceId = [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier];

So the sample code, there is the function loginToGateway which you need to add the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: method to as well. You add this before the mobileDeviceLoginRequest: method. In this way, the device registration call is always made no matter what, but if your device is already registered, it doesn't affect anything and it moves on to the login request. So either way you are always covered. The loginToGateway function should look like this:

- (void)loginToGateway
{
    // First time we need to do a mobile device registration request. Remember that if this is the first time you've registered your
    // device, the transaction will fail, however your device will now be in "pending" status in the test portal
    // (https://test.authorize.net).
    MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest *mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest = [MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest];
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDeviceId = @"<YOUR_DEVICE_UUID>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDescription = @"<DEVICE_DESC>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.phoneNumber = @"<DEVICE_PHONE_NUM>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.name = @"<USER_NAME>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.password = @"<PASSWORD>";

// Create our login request.
    MobileDeviceLoginRequest *mobileDeviceLoginRequest = [MobileDeviceLoginRequest mobileDeviceLoginRequest];
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.name = @"<USER_NAME>";
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.password = @"<PASSWORD>";
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.mobileDeviceId = [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier];

// Set up an AuthNet instance.
    AuthNet *an = [AuthNet getInstance];
    [an setDelegate:self];

// Process a mobile device registration request.
    [an mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest:mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest];

// Process a mobile device login request.
    [an mobileDeviceLoginRequest:mobileDeviceLoginRequest];
}

Hope this helps anyone who was also struggling with this.

View solution in original post

chrisdressler
7 REPLIES 7

OK, so I figured this out and successfully got a device to register. For those having the same problem (sample code not working, the "up and running in 15 minutes" page missing details):

All of the information I wrote above is correct--meaning the sample code and README are missing a few steps. The major piece being you have to call the method mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: not just run the sample code and then look for your device in the Mobile Device Management area of https://test.authorize.net. It would be nice if all of this documentation was updated by Authorize.NET so it was consistent and not confusion--and most importantly, missing key bits of informaiton.

My problem below with the code was I was sending this line as a part of my call (which isn't needed):

mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.mobileDeviceId = [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier];

So the sample code, there is the function loginToGateway which you need to add the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest: method to as well. You add this before the mobileDeviceLoginRequest: method. In this way, the device registration call is always made no matter what, but if your device is already registered, it doesn't affect anything and it moves on to the login request. So either way you are always covered. The loginToGateway function should look like this:

- (void)loginToGateway
{
    // First time we need to do a mobile device registration request. Remember that if this is the first time you've registered your
    // device, the transaction will fail, however your device will now be in "pending" status in the test portal
    // (https://test.authorize.net).
    MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest *mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest = [MobileDeviceRegistrationRequest mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest];
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDeviceId = @"<YOUR_DEVICE_UUID>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.mobileDescription = @"<DEVICE_DESC>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.mobileDevice.phoneNumber = @"<DEVICE_PHONE_NUM>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.name = @"<USER_NAME>";
    mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.password = @"<PASSWORD>";

// Create our login request.
    MobileDeviceLoginRequest *mobileDeviceLoginRequest = [MobileDeviceLoginRequest mobileDeviceLoginRequest];
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.name = @"<USER_NAME>";
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.password = @"<PASSWORD>";
    mobileDeviceLoginRequest.anetApiRequest.merchantAuthentication.mobileDeviceId = [[UIDevice currentDevice] uniqueGlobalDeviceIdentifier];

// Set up an AuthNet instance.
    AuthNet *an = [AuthNet getInstance];
    [an setDelegate:self];

// Process a mobile device registration request.
    [an mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest:mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest];

// Process a mobile device login request.
    [an mobileDeviceLoginRequest:mobileDeviceLoginRequest];
}

Hope this helps anyone who was also struggling with this.

chrisdressler

thank you for your post

it very helped me

i followed to Quick Start Guide and couldn't redister my device

why this important info isn't present in Quick Start Guide?

i think i'm not first person who has the same issue

thank you again!

good luck!

Thank you so much, seems like they would update the documenation immediatly. 

Thanks for your post now its fine but i am getting below error message  while using Authorize.net payment gateway in IOS App

Can you pleae help me in this problem to sort out.?

CFNetwork SSLHandshake failed (-9806)

223:60b] errorCode = 2

[223:60b] error = Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1001 "The request timed out." UserInfo=0x165c1b40 {NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://apitest.authorize.net/xml/v1/request.api, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://apitest.authorize.net/xml/v1/request.api, NSLocalizedDescription=The request timed out., NSUnderlyingError=0x16738a50 "The request timed out."}

2014-02-03 16:32:55.723 Jewellery Daily Deals[223:60b] NSError code = -1001

2014-02-03 16:32:55.724 Jewellery Daily Deals[223:60b] NSError description = The request timed out.

Hi,

The error that you posted appears to be a basic connectivity error. Perhaps your testing device simply did not have an active connection to the internet at the time you ran your test.

Thanks,
Joy

This is what I had to do:

1. 1. Use the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest method successfully.
  2. 2. Enable the device in the Merchant Interface (I was using Sandbox) under Account: Settings: Mobile Device Management. https://sandbox.authorize.net/UI/themes/sandbox/Settings/mobiledevicemanager.aspx
  3. 3. Don't do the mobileDeviceRegistrationRequest method again, but use the mobileDeviceLoginRequest method and store the sessionID.
  4. 4. Use the example createTransaction method which does purchaseRequest (auth is using the same mobileDeviceId and the sessiontoken that was stored from mobileDeviceLoginRequest)
  5. 5. I got back "This transaction has been approved." and a new sessionToken.

A related question that I have now:

Will every iOS device have to get enabled in the Merchant Interface manually? That's a pain.

-Brian

Hello @blalond 

Requiring each new device to be approved in the Merchant Interface is a security feature and provides the account owners and administrators the ability to control which devices are allowed.

Richard