cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put a hold on an Automated Recurring Billing Subscription

Is it just me or is it crazy that you cannot put a hold on an active subscription.  So here is the hypothetical...Say I run a gym and a user from the website wants to put a hold on their subscription for 6 months.  Currently in the PHP-SDK I am not able to modify the start date of a subscription if there have been any completed payments so it looks like my only option (which is a UI/UX nightmare) is to ask for their card information again and then cancel the current subscription and create a new one with the new start or on hold date that the customer wants.  

Is this really the only way to do it?  How come I cannot simply:

A: Change the status of the subscription to on hold or one that does not charge the card and then change it's status on the start date that the user entered

OR

B: Just allow me to update the start date or another field so that I do not have to go through the whole process of creating a new subscription and cancelling the old one and making the user enter in their payment information yet again for a subscription and customer profile where it already resides????

Am I crazy or just missing something obvious as this should be a simple feature as putting a membership or subscription on hold is something that tons of businesses do whether brick and mortar or on the web.  I also see that I cannot create a subscription with just the customer payment profile ID either and it was in "development" 2 years ago according to another post.  

Please someone shed some light on this or tell me how to do it without creating a ton more development work.

mvb89b
1 REPLY 1

Hi @mvb89b

You can create a subscription with customer profile as below 

https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/index.html#recurring-billing-create-a-subscription-fro...

When you create a new subscription with  card/ACH , a payment profileID is returned in response . 

For your scenario , you will need to cancel the current subscription and use the same paymentProfile to create a new subscription with a future startDate . 

You can also sumit the  feature idea for holding subscriptions in our Ideas  forum https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Ideas/idb-p/ideas

Thanks

Send feedback at developer_feedback@authorize.net
Anurag
Moderator Moderator