cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring Payments Functionality via Authorize.net

Hi Experts,

I am building a shopping cart on Magento where Im will be selling products that can be "pre ordered". I want to have two purchse options:

1) One Time Payment - I will initially take 25% of the amount and the rest of 75% will be charged 5 days before the product is ready to be shipped out. The shipping date could be after 6 months, 27 days or 9 months. I can have any future shipment date. What I want to do is the following:

a) Let the user add MULTIPLE items in the cart and charge the token payment (25%) at checkout for all the products in the cart. 

b) For the remaining 75% (whic is charged at a future date), I want to have a button against the particular order in Magento CMS. On the click of this button I want to charge 75% to the same credit card to which the initial 25% was charged. 

Question 1: Will authorize.net let me achieve the functionality that I want to achieve in b) above? If yes, how do I achieve it. I guess authorize.net stores customer profile and send a token back to me, which I can reuse to charge the same credit card again.

2) Equated Monthly Installment (also called Subscription) - What I want to do with this option is the the user can select multiple products with different installment plans and addd them in the same cart. So lets say the user selects 3 products with 3 subscription plans (Product A - 2 Months, Product B - 3 months, Product C -4 Months).

The user should be able to checkout with these three products (with different subscription plans) and Auhthorize.net should charge the credit card on a monthly basis for this order.

Question 2: How do I achieve the above in 2)?

3) Magento does not let me add a combination of One Time Payment Products and Subscription products in the same cart.  As a matter of fact it does not let me add more than one Subscription products in the same cart.

Question 3: How do I process multiple "One Time Payment Products" and Subscription products that are in the same cart via authorize.net? 

Thank you.

sbharadwaj
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @sbharadwaj

Yes, you can use Authorize.Net API to create one-time transaction and also create a token for the customer for future purchases using the API.  However, you will need to make the necessary changes to your shopping cart or custom application to meet your specific requirements.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hello Richard,

Can I store this token on my site?

Can I use this token (on my site) to charge the clients credit card in the future (irrespective of the time) any number of times?

Thanks

Yes, you store the token on your site for future use.  Read more about it at http://developer.authorize.net/api/cim

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Is this how Im going to do it? Please let me know if Im getting this correctly. Im just trying to save some R&D time :)

Step 1: Authorize.NET allows me to "Store" customer billing information (CC info, etc) on their system . I can do this using the CreateCustomerProfile method of ARB.

Step2: The response from CreateCustomerProfile method is some key(s)/ Tokens that I can store on my site to uniquely identify the customers account in Authorize.NET's system. I use that token (that is on my site) to identify account ID and charge the Account ID's Credit Card ad-hoc whenever/however i'd like using the CreateCustomerProfileTransaction method of ARB.

Step 3: If one of the payments fails due to, for example, not enough funds - then I can try to rebill the same accont ID later using the above approach again

Step 4: If the user's Credit Card info changes - I need to let the customer update their CC info - and use Authorize.NET's methods to update their profile.

Question: Are all above methods ARB or CIM methods?

Thank you!